Gas line addition calculations

Old 05-20-10, 10:16 PM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas line addition calculations

Hello all,

Hopefully someone here can help me. I'm looking to put in a new 1/2 line on my gf's house for a gas dryer. I talked to the permitting office and they said I needed to make sure I had an adequate gas supply but I haven't really been able to figure out how to calculate that (found one formula in the code but that seems to be for a new line, not a whole system calculation).

(Had 2 plumbers give me estimates, and neither said I needed a new supply line to the house, but then they both said I didn't *really* need a permit and that one wasn't too accurate).

Gas line will be approx. 12 ft long (2 foot rise) on the exterior of the house (galv pipe). Below is a diagram I drew up (not accurately to scale, but the numbers should be correct).

The gas line rises approximately 8 feet before going horizontal, and comes down around 6.5 ft for the outlets for the stove and water heater. Let me know if there's any additional information you need.

Location is Vista, CA (San Diego County).

Last edited by Works for beer; 05-20-10 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-21-10, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it hard to believe that in your locale working on gas dosen't require a permit and plumber/gasfitter.

Anyhow to figure the gas line you have to start at the fartherest fixture and get the btu rating on it,check what size pipe is going to it, at the next fixture you have to do the same thing, add the btus together, note the pipe size, and continue the same thing til you reach the meter, get the capacity of the meter (should be on it), this is only part of what you need to do.

Your picture dosen't work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: