Slight Water Backup In Basement When Kitchen Sink Drains Upstairs

Old 05-23-10, 11:33 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slight Water Backup In Basement When Kitchen Sink Drains Upstairs

A couple of days ago, I went down to our basement and noticed the "grate" covering, and the area surrounding our basement drain was damp.

I did some investigating and tried to uncover what caused the slight backup... I flushed the toilets, ran the sinks and showers in the bathrooms, and ran the sink in the kitchen. Nothing.

I happened to be doing a sink full of dishes, and coincidentally ended up in the basement, needing to grab something, right after I drained the sink. I was shocked as water started coming up, surrounded the top "grate", and then went back down. (I looked in the drain with a flashlight, and there is standing water about 4" down.

I went back upstairs and ran water, and it didn't do anything, but when a sink full of water is drained, it's too much for the basement drain to handle, and it overflows slightly. I am assuming this has been happening for a while, but has gone unnoticed.

What could be causing this? What action should I take?

Old 05-23-10, 01:58 PM
You have a partial stoppage in your main waste line, the water comes out of the floor drain because it can't get down the line fast enough.

You should see water in your floor drain, that's the trap seal.

You need to get the line rodded out.

Old 05-23-10, 03:24 PM
J
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
You have a partial stoppage in your main waste line, the water comes out of the floor drain because it can't get down the line fast enough.

You should see water in your floor drain, that's the trap seal.

You need to get the line rodded out.
Is this very complicated? Expensive? Please don't tell me they need to rip up the yard or my basement!!!

Is it coming JUST from the sink, you think? Or will other things factor into the problem?

Old 05-24-10, 02:47 PM
They shouldn't need to rip up the concrete unless they find a major problem in the line.

The problem is in the main line, the sink just causes it to show up.

Cost are local, no way I could estimate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: