Hot water comes out of cold side of kitchen faucet for a minute

Old 05-23-10, 03:06 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hot water comes out of cold side of kitchen faucet for a minute

When I turn on the cold side of my kitchen faucet, it runs room temp for a few seconds of course. Then it gets really hot before eventually getting cool. Hot enough that I can't keep my hands under it.

Obviously, the first thing you think it that you accidentally turned on the hot, or even that it was plumbed in wrong. But the fact that a minute or two later it feels normal really confuses me.

The faucet is a mixer type, and appears to be a cheap one. We moved in in November and it was already here.

I also just posted that I am planning to replumb my entire house, so I would assume issues like this would be dealt with at the same time, but maybe this is a quick fix?

Old 05-23-10, 07:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
I assume that somewhere your cold water line runs next to the hot water line. When not using water the hot line gets the cold water hot. You turn on the faucet and first get the cool water that is up in the faucet, then the hot water that has been next to the hot water line, then finally the cold water comes through again. If the hot and cold water lines run beside each other for a long distance you could get hot water for a long time from your cold water. If you do re-plumb the house, putting a few inches between the hot and cold water lines should take care of the issue.

Old 05-23-10, 09:49 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Well, that makes perfect sense. That's the first thing I'll look for! Thanks!

Old 05-24-10, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

Do you have a recirculation line on your system? a lot of times they are piped incorrectly and you get the same symptom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: