Faucets leak, can't find water shutoff valve.

Old 05-23-10, 03:52 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Faucets leak, can't find water shutoff valve.

I live in a house built in 1928, somethings have been renovated others not. There is a crawlspace and I believe the plumbing is all galvanized pipe. The water company changed the water meters in my area to the electronic type...they also removed the shut-off valve that I used to use. I'm suppose to install a new one but I don't know where to install it.

For some reason the upstairs facuets only have water shutoff valves on the hot water lines. So I can't turn the cold water off to work on the faucet. That means I have to turn it off outside, which I can no longer do until I install my own shutoff valve. Now technically I can call the water company and they will come out and shut the water off for me...but I have to wait on them to come and then to come back.

I would like to install a shutoff valve of my own, but I don't know where the main water pipe leading to the house even is...I also need to install it in a place that is easily accessible. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-10, 06:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The first thing I would do is buy the tool to shut the water in the street. That way I can do it at my convenience. The shut off valves inside the house are usually on both sides of the water meter. You didn't mention the meter.

After that I'd put valves everywhere I thought would make my life easier.

Old 05-23-10, 09:39 PM
K
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
The first thing I would do is buy the tool to shut the water in the street. That way I can do it at my convenience. The shut off valves inside the house are usually on both sides of the water meter. You didn't mention the meter.

After that I'd put valves everywhere I thought would make my life easier.
yea thats the thing. i have the tool to shut the water off at the meter but it doesnt work anymore. they changed meters

Old 05-24-10, 06:45 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
They couldn't have removed the valve completely. There is to be something there even if it's not the same as the original.

Old 05-24-10, 07:14 AM
J
Kitchen sink

I am trying to put a new Kitchen faucet in but the hot water valve will not turn off. What can I do?

Old 05-24-10, 10:30 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Loosen the packing nut. If that doesn't help, shut the main valve & replace the problem valve.

Old 05-24-10, 03:09 PM
K
They couldn't have removed the valve completely. There is to be something there even if it's not the same as the original.
it is still there, the valve i mean, but they have put a flat head screw threw the locking hole on the valve so that it can not be turned....i tried unscrewing it but it wouldn't budge

Old 05-24-10, 05:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Drill through it.

Old 05-24-10, 05:18 PM
K
Drill through it.
well i can think of a few ways to circumvent the locked valve, but wouldn't I be held liable? I mean they installed these electronic devices onto the water meters now...so that they just have to hold a device over the water meter lid and get the readings. why do you think they locked the valve to begin with? they must have a reason

Old 05-24-10, 05:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
They have a reason for locking it & you have a reason for unlocking it. If you don't want to touch it, then you have to go back to the idea of having them shut the valve & you install all the valves you need in your house.

Otherwise, if a pipe breaks, the damage will be far more than it has to be.

Old 05-24-10, 05:49 PM
K
yea i understand that, but i don't know anything about water meters. so If i manually shut the valve and it destroys their meter...then I am up the creek... I think they have a way of shutting off the water electronically or something now.

Old 05-25-10, 07:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Ask them to shut the water if your that nervous about it.

Old 05-25-10, 09:42 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You said that you don't even know where the water line enters your house. That is the first thing I would look for. There may well be a shut off valve inside the residence. to shut off the water if something breaks inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: