saddle valve sprays like "old faithful" geyser

Old 05-31-10, 02:36 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saddle valve sprays like "old faithful" geyser

I'm trying to turn off the water flow at a saddle valve but as I turn the valve clockwise (to the right) to tighten it, it starts to leak, then starts to spray water. I'm not a plumber and don't know I'm doing, but this didn't seem right so I opened the valve back up and it stopped spraying/leaking.

Is this common or is there a problem with the valve? I need to turn the water off but don't want a flood. Any suggestions?

Old 05-31-10, 04:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are you talking about a valve for an ice maker? Did you ever get to close it completely? If not, shut the main valve, close the saddle valve, then open the main valve again. See if it leaks.

Old 05-31-10, 05:23 PM
P
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Are you talking about a valve for an ice maker? Did you ever get to close it completely? If not, shut the main valve, close the saddle valve, then open the main valve again. See if it leaks.
Yes, it's a saddle valve for an ice maker. I didn't close it completely because I got scared when it started spurting water. Do you think it's okay to keep turning it as it's spurting water to close it completely? I just need to turn the water off going into the refrigerator/ice maker briefly.

The reason I didn't turn off the main water valve is because I'm in an older condo where, as far as I know, the main valve controls all the units so I have to notify my neighbors before turning it off.

Old 06-01-10, 05:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There should be individual valves for each unit. Try to find it. The saddle valve should close either way.

Old 06-02-10, 12:32 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm going to make a wild guess and assume the saddle valve is spraying out of the stem where it goes through the packing nut. A quarter-turn on the packing nut will most likely eliminate the spray.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: