Should I install a standing pipe?

Old 06-03-10, 02:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Should I install a standing pipe?

Hey plumbing pro's

I removed an old shower that was in the basement (actually basement is a foot below ground level) and I'm left with a drain that sometimes backs up and gets the floor all wet. I don't know if this is the main reason the basement floods because I have water drainage issues on the outside as well. Currently I have plastic shoved in there to prevent water coming out. I also have a disconnected toilet (water supply pipes removed and capped) and I notice a little water coming from underneath the toilet. I'd like to remove this.

So my question is....would a stand pipe permanently block off these drains? At times when it rains a lot these drains have issues. I think the city water sewer is backing up. I need the inexpensive fix as we have to try and do this ourselves. Do I just buy a standpipe and cement it in. Should it have a cap on top or be one of those open end? I have picturs and I hope they come through. Thanks

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...owerdrain1.jpg

Photobucket

house repairs :: topviewshowerdrain.jpg picture by sowewo - Photobucket

Old 06-03-10, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by chrischicago444 View Post
Hey plumbing pro's

I removed an old shower that was in the basement (actually basement is a foot below ground level) and I'm left with a drain that sometimes backs up and gets the floor all wet. I don't know if this is the main reason the basement floods because I have water drainage issues on the outside as well. Currently I have plastic shoved in there to prevent water coming out. I also have a disconnected toilet (water supply pipes removed and capped) and I notice a little water coming from underneath the toilet. I'd like to remove this.

So my question is....would a stand pipe permanently block off these drains? At times when it rains a lot these drains have issues. I think the city water sewer is backing up. I need the inexpensive fix as we have to try and do this ourselves. Do I just buy a standpipe and cement it in. Should it have a cap on top or be one of those open end? I have picturs and I hope they come through. Thanks

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...owerdrain1.jpg

Photobucket

house repairs :: topviewshowerdrain.jpg picture by sowewo - Photobucket
>>> and I'm left with a drain that sometimes backs up and gets the floor all wet. I don't know if this is the main reason the basement floods>>because I have water drainage issues on the outside as well.>>....would a stand pipe permanently block off these drains? At times when it rains a lot these drains have issues

Old 06-03-10, 08:46 PM
C
>>> and I'm left with a drain that sometimes backs up and gets the floor all wet. I don't know if this is the main reason the basement floods>>because I have water drainage issues on the outside as well.>>....would a stand pipe permanently block off these drains? At times when it rains a lot these drains have issues

Old 06-04-10, 12:56 PM
A stand pipe is a open pipe, I don't think thats going to stop water.

I can't be sure what the pipe is comming up, but if it's plastic you can glue a plug or cap on it, if it's metal it can't be glued.

If you rodded out you sewer did you go all the way to the city line? if not you can still have a partial stoppage in it

Old 06-05-10, 04:13 AM
C
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
A stand pipe is a open pipe, I don't think thats going to stop water.

I can't be sure what the pipe is comming up, but if it's plastic you can glue a plug or cap on it, if it's metal it can't be glued.

If you rodded out you sewer did you go all the way to the city line? if not you can still have a partial stoppage in it

I think I may just have to wait on this. I'm starting to think the shower line could possibly go into a separte drain pipe. Eventually Im going to get a camera inspection and finally see the condition of pipes Thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: