low pressure in sillcock

Old 06-07-10, 04:23 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low pressure in sillcock

I recently put in one of those hot/cold Moen sillcocks. Like having hot water available, but the pressure (hot or cold) is terrible. I thought maybe it had to due with all the anti siphon stuff on it. so I removed that to test but didn't help. Any thought what problem could be? Here is how I installed:

3/4" cpvc line that enters house and goes to hot water tank was T'd and 1/2" line was put in for sillcock. note that this is first branch of the main line. put valve on 1/2" line right near T and then ran to a wall. put another T there with a valve on one line. the other line runs to sillcock. the purpose of this setup is to allow me to close first valve to shut off supply. then open 2nd valve to drain water that may be left in the line so lines don't crack in winter. the 2nd valve is usually closed.

for the hot, the 3/4" line coming from the tank has a T in it already (splits into 2 3/4" lines) I took one of these 3/4" lines and T'd it for a 1/2" line to the sillcock. I did the valves same way as above.

could I have gotten too much glue and it is blocking the pipes? I am not new to using cpvc and have glued a fair amount of it before and never had this problem. I could test pressure at the 2nd valves I guess. I don't have a pressure gauge but I guess I could rig something up? makes me think that I never actually tested pressure at sillcock but I know it is low cause won't spray far at all. even tried changing handle but made no difference.

Or is this a known issue with these new sillcocks with all the safety features- anti siphon and whatever else they have?

Old 06-07-10, 06:40 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I've only seen pictures of these Moen sillcocks but if they use the "standard" (1200/1225) Moen cartridge then you won't get much flow because the passages in that cartridge are less than 1/4 inch in diameter.

Old 06-07-10, 08:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looked at parts list on moen web site. looks like it comes as a whole stem assembly they call it. the part number is 14089x where x varies (5,6,7 or 8) dependent on the length of the faucet (6", 8", 10" or 12" models available) it does say in specs that "flow rate mixed" is 12gpm at 60psi. like I said , i didn't measure anything but it won't shoot water out the end of the nozzle more than about 4'. I remember one that I used to shoot water 20' or so to water a patch of lawn that I planted last year so something isn't right with this.

while I was thinking that maybe I put too much glue in and it blocked the pipe somewhat and decreased the diameter and therefore decreased flow, I would have had to do it in BOTH the hot and cold lines. I tried it with it turned to full hot and full cold and on both it was the same low flow. if I had only partially blocked say the hot line, then when I put it to full cold it should flow fine. since it had same flow either full hot or full cold, that would mean both had to be partially plugged up, which would seem very unlikely as this never happened to me before and then suddenly it happened twice? probably call moen tomorrow to see what they say.

Old 06-07-10, 10:20 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Yep, call Moen. That is obviously not the same as their "standard" cartridge. I don't think that you used too much glue either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: