Sudden surge of Black Water

Old 06-11-10, 10:03 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sudden surge of Black Water

When we leave the house for a week or so, we turn off the water.
However, when we return, there is - almost always - the follwing problem with one of the two faucets in the upstairs master bath, whose plumbing is after the shower and toilet.
When my wife turns her sink faucet on, water flow is clean and normal, and then after a few seconds, there is a spurttering and surge of black water for about 2 seconds. It is very dark and seems to have minute particles which seem oily to the touch. Then water is flow is clear and normal and remains so.
This only happens on this one sink out of 9 in the house, and does not ever happen from any other water fixture (shower/toilet) in the home.
Have tried to run water first (before her turning hers on) at my sink which is only a couple feet from hers, but this does not solve the issue.
Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-11-10, 11:22 AM
Check out the piping hook-up on that sink ONLY, look for iron pipe in the lines, thats all I have, maybe someone else with a better idea will post.

Old 06-11-10, 12:03 PM
L
Thanks....House was built 1980 and I believe all lines are either copper or PVC.....Also, would imagine the hot/cold lines are coming from the shower and then split to go to the 2 sinks which are side by side. Apparently something is happening after that split, because as I mentioned, it only ever happens on the one sink.... faucets are the same model for each sink.
Any other ideas as to this whacky situation?

Old 06-11-10, 07:01 PM
A
Pressure release lets dissolved gas come out of water

I've experienced this also...with copper pipes everywhere....if the sink is the last in the line and higher than the other fixtures...I think air slowly collects...(when you release the pressure by turning off the water, the gas dissolved in the water comes out and goes upward to the highest point)...copper oxidizes black...especially when warm and moist. I never could figure out if it was only the hot side or the cold side...maybe someone else has thoughts...good luck

Old 06-11-10, 11:37 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It could be really aggressive water attacking the copper but that problem should not be isolated to only one faucet.

I would first check the flexible hose between the shut-off valve for that particular faucet for deteriorating rubber seals. Next would be the "disc" (faucet washer) in the shut-off valve and finally the disc in the faucet itself if that faucet is a type that uses replaceable discs.

Old 06-12-10, 04:36 AM
L
Thanks for the guidance... the possibility of copper oxidation sounds feasible for the fact we're in Florida and when we leave, it does get warm in that bathroom.
Having said that though, I'm off to check the washers and discs b/c I can get to those right now and hopefully one of those will be the culprit... I'll report back and in the meantime, thanks again for the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: