Where do I buy self draining water supply valves

Old 06-11-10, 04:03 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I buy self draining water supply valves

When I had a cabin in Big Bear, CA..the water supply valve on the house side of the meter was buried below the freeze line and was self draining when you turned the water off (and opened a faucet in the house). I'd like to buy one of these fr installation as the min supply valve for an irrigation system I'm getting ready to install. I haven't been able to find them on-line.. does anyone know what these valves are called, who makes them and where I might be able to purchase one (Lowes, HomeDepot don't carry them here in AZ).. I need a 1" valve. Thanks!

Old 06-18-10, 03:39 PM
B
Originally Posted by AZRichardC View Post
When I had a cabin in Big Bear, CA..the water supply valve on the house side of the meter was buried below the freeze line and was self draining when you turned the water off (and opened a faucet in the house). I'd like to buy one of these fr installation as the min supply valve for an irrigation system I'm getting ready to install. I haven't been able to find them on-line.. does anyone know what these valves are called, who makes them and where I might be able to purchase one (Lowes, HomeDepot don't carry them here in AZ).. I need a 1" valve. Thanks!
Sounds like you're talking about "frost free hydrants" which are installed in a small dug sump filled with crushed rock to allow drainage. These are available in the northern climates such as where I live -Michigan-. We had occasion to get one from Home Depot here which leads me to believe that they would be available on line --google "frost free hydrant" and see what happens.

Old 06-20-10, 04:24 PM
N
Believe what you are looking for is called a stop and waste valve. When you turn it off there is a weep hole in the side that allows the water between the valve and house to drain back eliminating the possibility of freezing and splitting. Any commercial plumbing supply house should carry them. You can find them in either female iron or compression connections. Check out the attached link:

Orbit Sprinkler System 1-Inch Brass Underground Stop & Waste Valve # (Orbit) - Reviews, Features, and Prices $60 - $61 at DealTime

Old 06-20-10, 05:14 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I suspect the original poster was looking for an automatic drain that goes at the lowest point in an underground sprinkler system such as these:

Sprinkler System Watering - Valves

Or,

Champion Irrigation Products - DV-050 - 1/2in Automatic Drain Valve-Brass

I put one of the brass units in for my father-in-law some 25 years ago to drain a PVC pipe that ran down hill to a lower rose garden at his residence. I picked it up from a local homecenter and the cost back then was just a few dollars. I suggest looking in the irrigation / underground lawn sprinkler area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: