"Leaky" outdoor spigot

Old 06-19-10, 03:59 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Leaky" outdoor spigot

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, hopefully it is.

The spigot my hose hooks up to, which is actually just inside the garage is giving me issues. When I connect my hose to is, the seal is not there and it leaks and drips a bit while the water is running. Worse than that, water seems to back up and when I go to turn off the water, there is an "explosion" of water that usually soaks me and the area around the spigot in my garage.

Any suggestions? I don't think it is a problem with my hose because I don't have the problem in my backyard.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-10, 04:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Where is the water leaking? Is it coming from the union between the spigot and hose or is it coming from the base of the knob?

If it is leaking between the spigot and hose. Hose washers can be purchased from most home centers and they are really inexpensive.

If the leak is at the base of the knob you may be able to simply tighten the nut at the base of the knob. It it cannot be tightened further you can buy faucet stem packing. It looks like fat, smooth string. Unscrew the nut at the base of the knob (without turning the knob) and wrap several turns of the packing around the shaft and cut off the excess with a knife or scissors. Then screw the nut back down. As you tighten the nut it squeezes the packing to form a tight seal with the shaft. I start light and keep tightening a bit at a time until the leak stops.

Old 06-19-10, 05:13 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To narrow it down, disconnect the hose and try running the spigot (and turning it on, off) to see if problem occurs (use a bucket if needing to collect water).

If that’s fine, take front hose and hook it to rear spigot.

If that’s fine, take rear hose and hook it to front spigot.

If that’s fine, .

Some hoses are made w/ an inner liner, and perhaps it has bubbled inside . . . still not sure if that would explain symptoms you describe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: