Old copper pipe fittings (repair or replace)

Old 06-21-10, 12:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old copper pipe fittings (repair or replace)

I am adding a basement bathroom and kitchen to my 60 year old house. The plumbing is all copper that I am cutting into to make my new runs. As I cut into the pipes at various locations I noticed that there was a lot of tension in the system that I assume was created by the house settling and flexing over the years. I had to relieve the tension in order to get the new joints to align properly. Upon reassembly and pressurizing the system I noticed a number of very minor drips on nearby fittings that I did not work on. I assume that this was due to relieving the tension and it effects on some joints. I still need to fix a few of these minor leaks but wanted to get some feedback before doing so. Here is my question:

Do old copper sweat joints deteriorate with age or are the minor drips just a result of relieving tension in the system?

I can simply re-solder the joints if tension is the cause. But if 60 year old joints deteriorate I should probably replace fittings while I have the ceiling open.

Thanks,
DavidJ

Old 06-21-10, 12:52 PM
Copper Joints

With a house thats 60 plus years old it's a good chance the the pipe was put in with lead based solder; lead solder will deterioate over time to the point where you can pull the joints apart, you should replace all the joints, sorry.

Old 06-21-10, 01:15 PM
J
Shacko is right...and if you're see a drip now, it sure isn't going to get any better.

Have you tried the new "sharkbite" fittings ? PLUG AND PLAY ! Expensive, but I love 'em.

Old 06-21-10, 08:09 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I'll just throw in, it's really hard to resolder an old joint. Usually heating it just makes it worse as the joint needs to be cleaned and re-fluxed.

Old 06-22-10, 08:57 AM
D
Thanks for the replies guys. I am just going to cut out the copper and replace as much as I can with pex. I have a Wirsbo expansion tool I used for my hot water heating system so it shouldn't be a huge effort. I also suspect that with the price of copper these days I am probably in for about the same costs if I go with Pex.

DAvidJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: