how to increase water flow at refrig?

Old 06-27-10, 05:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to increase water flow at refrig?

From the reverse osmossis unit to the storage tank is 50 ft. Tank to refrig is 20 ft. All has the small nylon tubing that comes with the unit. I tried running a 1/4" from the the ro unit to the tank thinking that would help, but it didn't.
Do I need a 1/4" line from the tank to refrig and leave the smaller line where it is?
Is there a way to increase pressure in the system and result in more water flow? Should I move the tank close to refrig and use the smaller line thru the entire length?
Thanks for your input.

Old 06-27-10, 06:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
My R.O. system is mounted in a far corner of the basement which is about 40 feet from the kitchen. I first tried it with the same, tiny diameter tubing as used by the R.O. system and got very little flow. There is just too much resistance in the small tubing for a long run. I ran 1/2" line from the R.O. unit to the kitchen and get a much better flow rate.

Old 07-04-10, 12:19 PM
P
Installing a permeate pump like the one below increased the flow noticeably in my RO system. It uses the waste brine flow going to your drain as a power source to boost the clean water flow. No electricity needed.

Aquatec ERP-1000 Permeate Pump and Aquatec ERP1000 Permeate Reverse Osmosis Pump

Old 07-04-10, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Exactly what RO system do you have?

Going to A 1/2" line would give you good pressure as long as you have enough volume coming out of the system.
You may also have too small of a pressure tank or the one you have may not be charged to the proper pressure.

If you have a picture of your set up you can post it on a free site like Photo Bucket and provide a link.

Old 07-04-10, 03:08 PM
S
I would suggest a transfer pump like Pete said. That's a lot of distance for that piping. I've installed an in line pump on an RO system that was provided by culligan 60 ft from the tap and it seemed to work well. Could be a couple hundered bucks though I'm not sure of the price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: