making turns on water supply pipe ?

Old 06-30-10, 11:19 AM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
making turns on water supply pipe ?

I think this must be basic plumbing but I canít seem to find the answer. If you want to change the direction of a water supply pipe, where you want to drop vertically and also shift horizontally, can you slant the pipe or do you have to drop straight down then turn 90 and 90 again? In other words, do you use a 90 elbow to drop straight down, another 90 to turn (say left), then another 90 to turn again in the direction the pipe was going to begin with?

Or can you use a 90 at the top but rotate it on some angle from the vertical (for example a 30 degree angle), so you drop drown and shift horizontally at the same time, then use another 90 at the bottom to turn again in the direction the pipe was going to begin with?

(Sorry , I know there must be a better way to say what I mean Ė but I was up late? yea -excuse)

Seems like if you slant the pipe you save a 90 degree turn and isnít that better? (Or even required?) But on the other hand somehow I think no slanting would just look better (I know Ė illogical, might look better to me but not to a plumber).

I did see one companyís photo gallery that showed a slanted pipe Ė but I canít find any others.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Old 06-30-10, 12:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't you use two 45 degree elbows? I think that's what you meant to say. So you'd have a diagonal shift. The length of pipe between the two elbows, running diagonal, would determine the amount of shift.

If you used a 90 and rotate it you'd need a 45 at the end of the pipe to start it going verticle again. Your working at fixed angles because you have fixed angle joints. Same thing here, the length of the 45 degree diagonal run is used to gain whatever shift is desired.

Last edited by mickblock; 06-30-10 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add thought
Old 06-30-10, 05:14 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The three 90 degree elbows will look more "workmanlike" but will also introduce a slight bit more resistance to the flow of whatever the pipe is carrying. Most cases the slight increase in resistance won't be noticeable.

Old 06-30-10, 05:24 PM
Z
thanks mickblock for your response.

I think you may be right about using the 45's. This 3D stuff I try to picture makes my head spin. I think I have some elbows around somewhere and I probably should just put a few pieces together with 45's and not try to imagine everything.

I have no idea why everything at 90 degrees just seems nicer to me! That's whacky!

thanks again!

Old 06-30-10, 05:35 PM
Z
hi furd! just saw your response. thank you.

I been hanging around the forums for a long time and I know you are an expert. As you say looking more "workmanlike" for the three 90's. Guess I was thinking like that but just couldn't put my finger on why I thought it would look better. Maybe just in the eye of the beholder?

thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: