How do I replace a cast iron flange?

Old 06-30-10, 08:47 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I replace a cast iron flange?

How do I replace a cast iron flange? It is welded on I think. I removed the screws and it of course didnt come off. I have a new PVC one, but not sure how to get this flange off. The bolts are corroded and old and just keep spinning, so I need to replace it.

Old 06-30-10, 08:53 PM
Are you talking about a toilet flange? Or something else?
What's the overall goal?

Old 06-30-10, 08:56 PM
C
yes toilet flange. goal is to put new PVC in place of old cast iron flange.

Old 07-01-10, 07:17 AM
M
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you just want to replace the bolts. They are not connected to the flange if they are just spinning and the toilet is still installed then grab them with a pair of vice grips and cut the nuts off. The new bolts slip into a space on the flange the same was as they do with the pvc flange.The cast iron flange is attached with lead and very difficult to remove. Once you got it off you wouldn't be able to simply attach a new pvc one, it would involve a lot more work.

Old 07-01-10, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by catpace View Post
yes toilet flange. goal is to put new PVC in place of old cast iron flange.
Is there a reason to replace the flange? if it is not broken I would leave it alone.

If you have to replace this is how; put a rag down the pipe so you don't drop something down the waste line, take a drill and drill a series of holes in the lead thats between the pipe and the flange, take a screwdriver or small chisel and pry the lead out; if this dosen't work, drill more holes.

A standard PVC flange will not work on a cast pipehttp://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...ue-c40-500.jpg This link will show you one that will work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: