Which are best ball valves?

Old 07-01-10, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Which are best ball valves?

Does anyone have an opinion as to which brass ball valves are the best- or are they all about the same. Reason I ask is Home Depot has Mueller and I think I came across one plumbers opinion (can’t remember where) that Mueller is junk because the metal is too thin and they rot out (or something like that I think?). I have one Mueller 3/4 full port ball valve I was going to use and I need to buy some others also (1” and 3/4”).

Anyway I found these names for full port ball valves:
Watts, Nibco, Mueller, Apollo, and “Red White”?

Also why are some bronze and others brass? Is bronze better?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-10, 01:39 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
You can't go wrong with either Watts or Apollo. Red-White is an "also ran" in my opinion. I don't have any experience with the Mueller or Nibco although both those names are well respected when it comes to fittings.

Also, a "full port" valve may be a premium price whereas the "standard" valve will have an opening that is just slightly smaller than "full port" with no discernible pressure drop in 98% of all installations. Full port valves are usually specified when there is some kind of insertion probe or tool that has to pass through the valve for a very specific purpose.

Old 07-02-10, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks a lot furd!

I think I have a source for Apollo. Think I'll go that route.

Did not know the effective difference between full port and standard port. Now it makes more sense to me why there are some many standard ports out there being sold. I'll probably go that route. Learned something new.

thanks again!