Under sink plumbing problems

Old 07-04-10, 10:40 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under sink plumbing problems

I am having trouble getting all the drain plumbing under my new kitchen sink leak proof. Due to the shape of the sink the only way I was able to get any fitting pieces for the setup was to use a couple of slip joints and two flexible plastic fittings to get the system together. The main problem is that I can't get the slip joints hold well enough, but during one year we have had this setup the slip joints have been getting loose and the trap piece has already fallen off twice so far (luckily we were in the kitchen both times so dried everything before any damage).

What kind of options should I try in order to achieve:
a. setup that would not fall apart
b. setup that would look more "professional"

In other words: what would be a best way to handle these odd angles and height differences.

Here is a picture of the mess:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51727319@N05/4760380351/

Last edited by Pete Q; 07-04-10 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Picture not showing, but adding a link.
Old 07-04-10, 11:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They make a fitting for the garbage disposal that curves down at 90. You could use that in stead of the straight fitting. They make a "T" like slip fitting that goes between the drains of a double sink. It could go between the downward pointing garbage disposal fitting and the sink. the leg of the tee into the trap and trap to the wall. Image is crude but maybe it will help you understand me.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-04-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 12:27 PM
If you have the disposal ell that should have came with it I would put the on the disposal, cut it off and leave enough to install a baffel tee on the end; that should straighten up the line to the other sink, hook up the other sink with a ell and a straight piece into the center of the tee.

Drop down out of the bottom of the tee just enough to get the trap to work (cut the parts off if you have to) you may need a 45 to line the two pieces up, (DO NOT USE THE FLEXIBLE CONNECTORS) they are a problem waiting to happen!
Do not elongage the trap the way you have it; against code and another thing to cause you problems.

The hook up for your dishwasher is wrong, that hose has to go as high as possible under the sink and come down without any dips in it, the way you have it you could pump garbage into you washer

Old 07-04-10, 05:34 PM
P
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
If you have the disposal ell that should have came with it I would put the on the disposal, cut it off and leave enough to install a baffel tee on the end; that should straighten up the line to the other sink, hook up the other sink with a ell and a straight piece into the center of the tee.

Drop down out of the bottom of the tee just enough to get the trap to work (cut the parts off if you have to) you may need a 45 to line the two pieces up, (DO NOT USE THE FLEXIBLE CONNECTORS) they are a problem waiting to happen!
Do not elongage the trap the way you have it; against code and another thing to cause you problems.
OK this sounds like a good way to do it. I can't remember that the disposal came with any pipe - ell or other, but I hope I can find one from the big box store tomorrow, as well as the tee that you mention. I have been warned about the flexible connectors before, just could not figure out how to do this without by myself.

Originally Posted by shacko View Post
The hook up for your dishwasher is wrong, that hose has to go as high as possible under the sink and come down without any dips in it, the way you have it you could pump garbage into you washer
Oops! Now when you mention it I realize I actually knew about it before. For some reason when I replaced the garbage disposal a few months ago I connected dishwasher wrong. Serious brain fart! At least it should be an easy fix.

Thanks for great advice both Shacko and Ray! If I get this all fixed tomorrow I will post a new picture for "inspection".

Old 07-04-10, 08:06 PM
Let's call a spade a spade: what you have there is horrible!

Those accordion flexes will just be come gunk collectors. You have a VERY deep trap, and I am sure the sink drains slowly.

Since the waste line is accessible, it would be a simple matter to move the san tee to that you can make normal drops from the sink and disposer into a normal trap and trap arm.

Old 07-04-10, 08:20 PM
P
Originally Posted by 594tough View Post
Let's call a spade a spade: what you have there is horrible!

Those accordion flexes will just be come gunk collectors. You have a VERY deep trap, and I am sure the sink drains slowly.

Since the waste line is accessible, it would be a simple matter to move the san tee to that you can make normal drops from the sink and disposer into a normal trap and trap arm.
I know

Just to clarify - do you actually recommend two separate traps in addition to adjusting the sanitary tee height?

Actually, believe or not, the sink is not showing a slightest sign of draining slowly, but anyway I agree this needs to be fixed.

Old 07-05-10, 01:27 PM
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...5_front500.jpg

If you don't have your parts this link will show you what I was talking about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: