Shower drain pipe leak

Old 07-05-10, 12:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower drain pipe leak

I recently noticed a small, 1" x 1" stain on my 1st floor ceiling. After a few tests, I pegged it down to it coming from the drain pipe from the shower. It sounds like a slow leak, a drip every 1s or so running until a few minutes after the water has drained.

I'm looking for some recommendations on fixing this. I believe I'll be able to get some sort of access to the pipe from a closet ceiling, however I would not be able to replace the pipe from that angle (it's about 1.5 feet away from the leak). To have direct access to it, I would have to cut a section out of the ceiling in our hallway, a hole not hidding in the closet.

Are there any other alternatives, ie. plugging the leak with an adhesive, possibly gluing a small, 1/4 round piece of PVC to the affected area?

Thanks for any and all help. Beer 4U2

Old 07-05-10, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Well...I'd have to say it's hard to recommend anything until you know where it's really leaking from.

A glued joint in PVC will not just "start" leaking (in my experience). You could have a slow leak from the gasket (if there is one) for the drain, or possibly the piping for the shower itself.

Cut your access hole and do an inspection first.

Old 07-05-10, 12:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will do. I changed the bathtub, so a new drain was installed, could have possibly tweaked the pipes? This is a 40+ year old house, fwiw.

I'll take a look tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: