Pipes vibrating with outside faucet on

Old 07-05-10, 04:23 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipes vibrating with outside faucet on

We just purchased a house that had been sitting for quite a while. Both of our outdoor faucets have what looks like an aerator??? It has a label of Donesia LVB on it and I can't find it anywhere by googling it.

Anyway today we hooked up a water hose and washed the cars and while the hose was running, the pipes were vibrating in the walls. I'm assuming this device is what was causing it?

Is this something that can be changed? It looks like an add on device, but its not budging, but maybe a 1/4 turn.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
(Houston area)

Old 07-05-10, 07:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Did you look to see if the pipes are secured to the joists? I never saw an aerator on a hose bib.

Old 07-07-10, 10:56 AM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
guys this might be left field.

Does the VB stand for vacuum breaker (or was that obvious to you guys?):

Found the following, a pro's response to a question about faucets:

"The vacuum breaker is there for the same reason we put them on hose bibs. They are there to prevent pulling dirty water into your system if the pressure goes out in the street water main and the water starts to drain out of your system creating a vacuum. This situation happens so rarely that I've never had a complaint on it happening. However it is a remote possibilty and that's why they offer it. We don't install them unless the contract calls for it or it's a customer request."

If this is all in left field with respect to the problem at hand, then .... "Never mind"....

Old 07-07-10, 07:38 PM
V
Vey
Zoesdad is on the right track.

Bet me the OP is on City water.

My City requires Vacuum Breakers on all outdoor bibcocks. They all vibrate at different tones depending on how much water I have flowing through them. A regular symphony. Some of them even chatter which is the percussion section.

Can't remove them, since the City code also requires the plumber to crank the set screw until it breaks off (look for it). This is so folks won't remove the offensive sounding item since they KNOW people will remove them for obvious reasons. If you try to remove it with the setscrew cranked down you will ruin the hose threads.

And then the VBs with their plastic innards eventually fail, which is my cue to put on a new bibcock without a VB. Jeepers, I already have a double check valve watcha-ma-call-it pressure backflow preventer, which the City charges me $40 twice a year to test to keep anything from getting into their system. One would think that would be enough.

Old 08-28-10, 10:56 AM
J
Zoesdad and Vey,

you guys hit the nail on the head!

I was at my local Ace hardware store and I saw one in there. They are required where I live here in Texas. In Arkansas, we had the ones where it was self contained in the waterproof faucet, not an add-on. Maybe this house is just a little older and they didn't make them?

Well, from what you guys are telling me, I can take it off and put a new one on, but it is still going to "whine" and sing to us when we use the new one. Just probably a different tone.

You were also right that they broke the set screw off, but probably with an EazOut (or whatever they are called, the left handed drill bit so to speak) might get out the screw.

Now, just to decide if I can live with the whining sound....

Old 08-28-10, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You probably won't be able to EZ-out it. The setscrew metal is soft and small diameter.

You normally have to somehow cut it off. I've had good luck using a Dremel tool with the fiber re-inforced cutoff wheel. They are made of brass which is pretty soft. Cut down on two opposite sides, then insert some large screwdrivers and twist to split it. The square shank screwdrivers allow you to put a lot more torque on them.

Even if you slightly hit the threads on the hose bibb...as long as you are careful to NOT hit the last few threads...it should be fine. Remember, hose bibbs seal by a washer..not the threads themselves.

Actually...I'd check your washers in the bibb first and make sure all valves are fully open. My last house had these installed...and they never made any noises, though I believe we had PB piping.

Old 08-29-10, 11:07 AM
Z
hi again jeffl Ė

(I knew if I just kept talking on the forum someday I would have to get lucky and say something right!)

Actually since my last post I had to install one myself. They are also required where I live. I hear that whining you're talking about and it surprised me at first.

The whining and singing also bugs me a little because it just seems like something isn't working correctly -- but I know it only seems that way and it's totally irrational and I have no reason to say that ? Just not used to hearing it.

I'm going to make the checks Gunguy referred to, but like you I might just have to get used to it. Gunguy made the point that it could be pipe-dependant. Mine is copper and maybe if yours is copper could that make the difference? Who knows?

Anyway good luck!

(My pipe singing sounds better than some of the people on American Idol - haha!)

Old 09-02-10, 10:50 AM
J
With the long weekend coming up, maybe I can try taking it off, just for the fun of it.

But to answer the question, yes, the whole house is copper pipe and it vibrates at least 10 feet away from the pipe.

What was even funnier, I asked the neighbor if his hose caused the vibration, he said, I don't know, I pay someone else to wash my car...at the car wash. Ha!

Old 09-05-10, 09:57 AM
Z
Good to know in this economy someone can afford a car wash. Actually if things get a little worse for me I might be working in one myself.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-10, 10:56 AM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by zoesdad View Post
Good to know in this economy someone can afford a car wash. Actually if things get a little worse for me I might be working in one myself.

Good luck!
I hope not. I remember a PSA (Public Service Announcement) that played on the television when I was in my teens. It had a young man working in a car wash and he said, "Workin' in a car wash is 'bout the worst job in the world." I never worked in a car wash but I can well believe it to be 'bout the worst job in the world. I think I'd rather work in the sewage treatment plant shoveling the dried solids into the truck. I knew a guy that did that for a while.)

Old 09-05-10, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Nope...I think car wash would be pretty far down on the list. Now an old roommates job...pretty far up that list.

He drove a tank truck that picked up liquid renderings (is that the right wording?) from slaughter houses (I think) and carried them to the processing facility. He had to hook up the hoses at each end, just like a gas tanker at the gas station. Imagine the fat from trimmed hams, steaks and chicken placed in a plastic bag and left in the sun for 3 days or so, then smeared all over your clothes that you wear for 8 hrs. That's what the dude smelled like every day. He'd come in through the garage and strip, throw his clothes in the washer and walk to the bathroom in his skivvies.

I should submit that to Dirty Jobs....

Old 09-05-10, 01:36 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I dunno, Vic, soap and water does wonders for stink but working an eight-hour shift with soaking wet clothes along with the wind and the noise from the dryer doesn't appeal to me the least.

I've worked dirty, stinky jobs but the few times I had to work while my clothes were soaking wet were far, far worse than the dirt and stink.

Old 09-06-10, 10:06 AM
Z
I better stop listening to you guys. After your descriptions of some other jobs the car wash job is starting to sound cushy, and I donít want to overreact and rush down and sign up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: