6" Clay to PVC to 6" Clay

Old 07-05-10, 06:21 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" Clay to PVC to 6" Clay

I am working at fixing a sewer drain for my new home and wanted some advice. I have the main sewer drain leave my home to a sewer pit in the yard, the neighbors was also leading to this pit but they had their line disconnected and run straight to the main sewer line.

Both 6 inch clay pipes run into a four foot wide hole with concrete bottom contoured to direct sewage toward the end of a 6 Inch sewer line running to main street sewer line. I want to install an elbow, sweep preferably, to connect the clay pipe male end to the female clay pipe end going to the main sewer line in the street.

The problem I have is the line from my home is a clay pipe male end with plenty of room to fit a fernco coupling but the end of the clay pipe that goes to the street sewer is embedded in the wall. The lip around the end of the pipe is flush with the wall and they installed this piece of clay tile as the female end with its flange flush with the brick walls.

I will not be removing and replacing the sewer lines anytime soon but do want to contain the sewer lines here to make a closed system. The line from my house is an inch or two above the line to the street so there will be a slight downward slope but I want to know how I should proceed with this.

Digging up lines and such is out of the question for now, too much cost. Can I go to a four inch fitting to go to the clay tile or should I stick with all 6 inch and how do i get the end of a pvc into the female end of the clay tile.

A coupling will not work here but I thought if I could taper a PVC pipe and stick it in far enough and then seal with soil seal this would work for a year or two till I can afford to replace all sewer lines.

Last edited by jeffopus; 07-05-10 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Changed Image Path
Old 07-05-10, 07:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It should be easy enough to chop some of the brick to expose a few inches of pipe. Rent a chipping gun if you don't want to use a chisel.

Old 07-05-10, 08:00 PM
J
Why would I chip away around the clay pipe with the female end, is a fernco fitting going to fit around that?

Old 07-05-10, 08:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know what I missed but the pipes look the same to me, except one is flush & the other isn't. I even was wearing my glasses.

Old 07-05-10, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like a clay hub that's flush with the brick. You /might/ be able to find a donut that'll seal in it, but I think Pulpo's correct in saying you should chip a few bricks away. Snap off the hub & couple on to the pipe.

Old 07-06-10, 12:42 PM
Looks like a bell to me, but I don't think they make donuts for that hook-up anymore. Have to go with the other post and chop back, cut off and use a Fernco band.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: