Water seeping up through grout lines in kitchen?

Old 07-06-10, 10:12 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water seeping up through grout lines in kitchen?

Have a small spot in our kitchen where water seeps up through the grout lines between tiles when stepped on. The water appears to be dirty brown. The spot where it happens is about 1' in front of our dishwasher and kitchen sink. Cabinet under sink appears to be very humid but I do not see any visible leaks. When I stick my head next to the dishwasher I can hear a very faint hissing/crackling type sound.

Before my husband crawls all the way underneath our house (a nightmare in itself), is there something else I should check?

Old 07-06-10, 12:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Can you pull the dishwasher? Might see something there without crawling under the house.

Old 07-10-10, 04:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, the leak does not appear to be happening while the dishwasher is on, as we went several days without running it and nothing dried up. When I put my ear near the top of the dishwasher, I can hear a constant hissing sound.

The dishwasher is right next to our kitchen sink, and the area under the sink appears to have been wet for quite some time. We pulled everything out and there was a lot of water damage on the "floor" area under there, but we ran the faucet and the dishwasher and could not find a specific leak area. When my husband turned off the cold water master valve coming into the kitchen, the hissing sound stopped. Our dishwasher is at least 10 years old and wondering if we should just buy a new one (the hissing sound indicates some type of leak other than something when the dishwasher is running) or when we pull off the front bottom panel, what should we look for or check?

Old 07-11-10, 08:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
The hissing sound is certainly not a good sound to hear. It is probably a very small, slow leak from one of the supply connections. It may be dripping only once a minute, but over a whole day, those drips add up.

There should be a valve to turn off just the dishwasher, see if that stops the hiss/leak. Without knowing where the leak is, it's hard to recommend a new dishwasher. It may be the supply line connecting to the dishwasher (in which case it may be a $5-$10 fix), or it could be a leak internal to the dishwasher in which case you may need a specific part.

I doubt the leak is under the house if you have a crawlspace since any leak would likely be dripping down and not affect your kitchen floor.

Use a soap/water combination to 'paint' onto all the fittings in and around your dishwasher. You may need to pull your dishwasher out to do this. Any leak should result in bubbles.

You can also use a paper towel tube as a 'stethoscope' against your ear to see if you can pinpoint where the hiss is coming from.

Old 07-12-10, 06:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a supply line leak

Not a nice thing to have....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: