Securing loose pipes

Old 07-09-10, 07:33 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 152
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing loose pipes

I have a 50s home where a surprisingly large amount of plumbing is just suspended in the air with minimal or no support. I'd like to secure this plumbing, but had a question on the material for the support. I saw that there are galvanized, copper, and plastic hangers for pipes. Which type goes with which pipe or does it not matter? I'm assuming they at least match up with their own type (copper supporting copper, etc.), but can any of them be used for multiple materials (plastic supporting copper, etc.)? Also, does hot/cold water pipe factor into it at all?
Old 07-09-10, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,218
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
Plastic is the easiest to use, IMO

Might be good to stick with the same material if metal pipe and metal hanger
Old 07-09-10, 12:11 PM
shacko's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Baltimore County Maryland
Posts: 2,002
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On water pipe you normally use a hanger that matches the pipe, on drain pipe it becomes more tricky depending how the pipe is run. If you check out one of the sites that sell pipe hangers you will get an idea of whats available.
Old 07-11-10, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,182
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
As stated, plastic is compatible with anything. Metals generally have to match. Mixing copper and galvanized for example will not work out well as it will rust/corrode either the pipe or the strap.

You also have a lot of options on how they hang/attach/clamp and can use a variety based on where the pipes currently are.

No difference between hot/cold, any hanger will handle either.
Old 07-11-10, 07:34 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I personally lean towards plastic straps, at least for water piping. They keep the piping from direct contact with the structure, minimizing noise and allowing for some movement (expansion & contraction).

Sioux Chief

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: