Broken stack

Old 07-22-10, 06:03 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken stack

In pulling the cap from my plumbing stack, the roofer actually pulled out about a foot of the cast iron stack, becasue it was rusted so badly. He jammed a piece of ABS into the remaining stack as far as it would go. There is no risk of hitting the pipes coming into the stack as the roof is one floor up from the highest plumbing fixture (three story house). The place where the two pipes overlap is in an attic. There does not appear to be any gas leaking out (no odor) and on the bright side, a shower which previously appeared to have venting problems no longer drains when the toilet is flushed

Now I know that to fix this properly I will need to pull the whole stack as it is probably rusted further down as well, but in the short term, can I try to get in and somehow seal the joint between the top of the old pipe and the new pipe?

In the longer term, lower down, in the basement, the old stack runs inside brickwork also containing the chimney and supporting a fireplace above. Is there any way I can cut the pipe above this and attach the new pipe rather than trying to cut or pull bricks?

Old 07-22-10, 06:41 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the ABS is inside of the cast pipe, any rain which entered the stack would drain just fine. If you can get to the junction, caulk it to be sure you don't get attic odors. As to the rest, others will probably comment, but my policy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also known as lazy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: