Smelly/Foaming Cold Water in the Morning

Old 07-23-10, 10:56 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smelly/Foaming Cold Water in the Morning

Hi, I bought my first house last year and have been trying to solve a smelly/foaming water problem ever since. Please help if you can.

Here are my symptoms:
1) every morning, when a cold water faucet is turned on (from any faucet in the house) there is a rotten egg smell and it foams up a bit. (this problem is primarily in the morning, but can occur if the faucet has sat idol for several hours, regardless of the time of day)
2) the smell goes away after running the faucet for a minute or two.
3) the foam occurs more on faucets that aren't used every day, but still occurs on all faucets. It is just a white foam that builds in the basin of the sink then quickly disappates.
4) the problem does not occur with hot water or from the shower

Setup:
1) i have a three story, free standing house, set up like townhouses - there are ten houses in a row. I have checked with my neighbors and they do not report having the same problems.
2) i initially thought it was somehow related to the hot water tank and had the rod replaced, but that has not helped.
3) i have changed out the filters on all of the faucets and this has not helped
4) i have ensured that the lines are clear of hair/gunk and flushed a few of them (with drain cleaner - haven't tried bleach).

Questions:
1. Since this problem is occurring in the whole house and it isn't tied to the hot water tank, is there a way i could try to flush the pipes? (if so, i would need some guidance as to how to do this)
2. Is the foaming normal with the rotten egg/sulfer dioxide promblem?
3. Anything else that i need to check or possible solutions?

All help is appreciated,

New homeowner

Old 07-25-10, 04:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tomorrow morning before you open any faucet, open the outside hose bib. Does it happen there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: