laundry tray pump/check valve

Old 07-23-10, 11:25 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laundry tray pump/check valve

Have a laundry tray pump that pumps the water up just over six feet the the drain line. There is a check valve on the horizontal pipe about two foot away from the pump. Because of the six foot rise on the discharge pipe (and the amount of water that will remain in that pipe after the pump shuts off) every so often the pump will cycel due to the fact the water in the upright pipe has enough weight I suspect to allow some water to leak through the check valve.

Would there be any issue in putting another check valve in the upright pipe just before in enters the Y fitting at feeds the main drain? Water then would pump through two check valves but at least the upper one will stop water from forcing water through the first check causing the pump to quickly cycle. Has been like this for many years, kind of drives you nuts sometimes so I thought I might ask the experts for their opinion.

Old 07-23-10, 03:09 PM
Check Valve

The normal place for the check valve is on the vertical near to the pump.

Not knowing what kind of check you have on the horizontal, it may not be working. If you are dumping a wash machine drain into the laundry tray I would remove the horizontal check.

Old 07-23-10, 03:53 PM
D
Laundry tray pump

Thanks Shacko for the response; actually the installation instructions have the check valve installed horizontally, only thing they mention is that one needs to have a screen on the washing machine hose and also suggest one in the drain to prevent stuff from getting into the pump and/or check valve. Since tlhey come with a standard pvc check valve like what is installed in a sump pump for example. They do mention one can use a ball or spring type check valve if the force required to open them is no more than 3 feet of lift or less than 1 psi and does not affect the required pump flow.

I know once I took the check valve apart to clean and really did not find anything in there that might cause the flapper from closing tight.

Old 07-24-10, 12:21 PM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: