Sewer Cleanout plug/ferrule problem

Old 07-23-10, 06:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Sewer Cleanout plug/ferrule problem

I recently discovered a 3 inch cleanout in the floor of my closet. I have a slab floor with quarry tile. The plug is recessed and has a 1 1/2 inch square lug. We have been here over 40 yrs and the house was built in 1952. Both the plug and ferrule are cast iron, so after 58 years (also embedded in mortar/concrete) even tho I am getting some good torque with my 16 inch wrench, these threads will not separate. I have tried almost a can of the Blaster product but to no avail. By hammer to chisel on the side of the lug I was able to rotate the plug-----but the ferrule came with it! I have chipped out the concrete half an inch beyond the ferrule and have exposed a cast iron flange that the ferrule sits on. The body of the ferrule is offset to the inside and goes into the pipe about 2 inches is my guess. I can rotate the ferrule and lift it maybe three-sixteenths, but it will not come out. With less than one inch to work with, I have used my small pry bar to try and pop out the ferrule/plug but although I might be gaining on it, I have been unable to remove it as of yet. I can now easily rotate it with my fingers and raise it a small amount, but that is all. In 1952 in California would LEAD have been used to caulk the ferrule to the pipe and what is it that is preventing its removal? Is it possible that the ferrule offsets outward at the bottom and is held by the flange fitting? In the meantime I can continue to pry away as best I can. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, golfnut.

Old 07-23-10, 07:10 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
After 40 years, why do you want to open it? Is this a "I'm going to destroy it because I can" or is there a real need to open the pipe.

Old 07-23-10, 07:56 PM
Yes, there is a good reason. A recent service to (clear??) a 4 inch terra cotta line was 120' away from the blockage, from a distant cleanout, meaning a reload of a second 75' cable. This cleanout location would reduce that to 35'. I am expecting another backup within a year as I now realize that a sewer cleaning does not give you anywhere near a 100% clear pipe at the bad spot. In June, further down my line, after sewer camera work, we excavated 14' of pipe and 4 joints, 2 of which were 90% blocked!!! (with fine roots) and incredibly still working!! This was 8 months after a cleaning. This was a 58 year accumulation of roots not 8 months. So for the first 15' or so of Terra Cotta as it leaves the Dwelling I am in the Dark. As this area is not easily accessible because of low decking I intend to aggressively snake the pipe from a close distance and then follow up with another camera inspection, hoping that it can move through this joint and give me a video all the way to the Main. Whether I will be successful in accessing my sewer from this location remains to be seen, but that is my preference. golfnut.

Old 07-24-10, 12:12 PM
Cast Iron Clean-Out

I think what you are dealing with is called bell+spigot cast iron, I have posted a pic that will show what you're dealing with.

The upper part of the joint is lead, the next part is oakum, if you look at the bottom of the joint you will see where it has a lip, thats what makes it hard to get out.

The only way to get it out is to drill a lot of holes into the lead and pry the lead out, you will also have to pry the oakum, once you get it all out, the fitting should come out.

If you don't think this is what you have, post a picture, we may be able to help.

Old 07-25-10, 07:29 PM
Hi Shacko,

Thanks for your interest and help. As I have been unable to figure out how to include a picture or drawing I am contacting the Webmaster for help.

What I can say is that your drawing is not what I have.

The ferrule sits down onto the flange of the pipe fitting.

In other words the OS dimension of the Ferrule is greater than the inside dimension of the pipe. Therefore I am unable to access the joint space as it is hidden. I had tried a pry bar with the ferrule elevated to get leverage, but was unable to free it.

I will post again with a drawing when I have been told how to get it into the body of the post.

Thank You.

Old 07-26-10, 03:23 PM
A picture would be great, you can use something like PhotoBucket

Old 07-26-10, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 07-27-10, 11:54 PM
As suggested I have uploaded a .jpg file to PHOTOBUCKET which I originated in the Windows7 Paint app.

Hopefully the link below will open when you click on it.

SewerCleanoutDrawing.jpg picture by brianpeck_2010 - Photobucket

Assuming you can open it, please re-read my earlier posts and maybe you will at least see what I am up against.

Thank you, golfnut.

Old 07-28-10, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, although the link works, I see that the image is unreadable. Too small and too fuzzy.
I will try again later.
golfnut.

Old 07-29-10, 11:49 AM
I switched from Photobucket to Image Shack and was able to resize the drawing larger. I highly recommend Image Shack and thank you to RAY for your helpful post.

Link is below.

Sewer plug is yellow, Ferrule is pink, floor tile is red and concrete is gray.

I can lift the plug (with ferrule attached) about 1/8 inch and can rotate it with my fingers. Something is preventing it from coming any further. It feels like uniform resistance.
The plug is probably not as deep as I show, just a few threads ending higher than the bottom of ferrule.
This would enable the ferrule to be more than 1/2 inch thick, but with an offset to allow it to penetrate into the pipe which I am only assuming to be 3 inches I.D.

I have tried prying with a small bar with the plug elevated.
However if I did manage to pry off, I am afraid something might fall down the pipe and block it.

So I am not too optimistic about this, but somebody might have some idea what is holding this in place.

Golfnut.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/426/sewercleanout2.png

Old 07-29-10, 04:08 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Scroll down to the image below the toilet to see how your cleanout ferrule is caulked in the bell of the cast iron pipe. You have to remove the lead on the top first and then dig out all of the oakum before you will be able to remove the ferrule.

Accessibility And Visibility

Old 07-30-10, 06:37 PM
I have made corrections to the drawing.

New link below.

Golfnut.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/372...rcleanout3.png

Old 07-31-10, 03:39 PM
I was hoping that you could take a picture of it, your drawing may be missing a clue that we need.

Old 08-02-10, 09:34 PM
Hello Shacko,

Thanks for your continued interest.

Here is the photo you requested.

If you were Sherlock Holmes, maybe the Clue that you are seeking can be spotted.

Good Luck and God Bless.

golfnut.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5263/img0068n.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: