Replacing Dishwasher - Water Valve Not Shutting Off Water?

Old 07-25-10, 07:41 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Dishwasher - Water Valve Not Shutting Off Water?

Okay, i'm in the process of replacing my dishwasher and now i'm stuck because of this aggrivating problem. I am trying to shut off the water to the dishwasher without turning off the water to the whole house, but for some reason the red quarter turn valve leading from the dishwasher's water line to under my sink isn't closing (I think). I closed it, but the pressure and amount of water coming out before I even remove the hex nut from the dishwasher is too much to risk ruining the floors, you know?

So - is it normal for a lot of water to come out of the line or is something wrong? If so, what do I do to solve this?

Edit: I figured a little water would come out of the line, but to give you guys an idea, I have filled up a big plastic bowl used to mix cakes easily twice already.

Old 07-25-10, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume that the handle on the 1/4 turn is going 90deg. across the pipe when you turn it off? and you don't have an unusually long run to the dish washer?, if this is so the valve is probably defective.

Old 07-25-10, 03:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 336 Likes on 302 Posts
If you can picture how much water is in the line from the shutoff to the dishwasher, about half of that can come out since it's under pressure. But it shouldn't be more than half a bowl of water or so.

You can (and probably should) relieve pressure first by turning off the valve then starting the dishwasher. The simple act of the solenoid turning on and allowing water to go into the dishwasher should be enough to relieve the pressure. Then you should only get some drips.

I'll second Shacko's response that it could be a bad valve... unless it's not a 1/4-turn valve and you just haven't turned it off fully.

Old 07-26-10, 06:09 PM
W
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi. You don't have to shut the whole house off. Dishwashers run on hot water so shut the water off at the hot water heater. when you shut off the hot water turn the hot water on at the kitchen sink to releave the pressure the work on the dishwasher.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: