Shower head siphon: worst case scenario

Old 07-25-10, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower head siphon: worst case scenario

I was shopping for an 8' shower hose the other day and I happened to come across a post from a plumber saying never buy a shower hose long enough to drop in the tub.

(Quincy, ME fans will recall "Arena of Death" in season 5) And I must say after seeing that episode as a young lad, I have been mindful of siphon situations.

But my question is:
How important is an anti-siphon device in a handheld shower installation?

As I see it _all_ of the following would have to happen for a bad situation to occur:

1. User has shower on and drops showerhead in tub.
2. Water source gets switched off from the city
3. User keeps water 'on', leaves showerhead submerged in tub (Dubious)
4. Another user in the same house below the level of the tub doesn't realize the city shut off the water and opens a tap. (Even more dubious)
5. User drinks (presumably clean) water but pipes are contaminated, which affects entire household when pressure restored.

Worst case scenario? Shower water in the pipes for the first use. Yes, I realize that's not appetizing, but really.

I realize this is "potentially" seriouis, but so is cutting the grass. What am I missing here? Is there an easier/deadlier failure scenario that's likely?

Old 07-25-10, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You're worrying way too much.....

Old 07-25-10, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You're worrying way too much.....
Heh heh, no _I'm_ not sir, I just want to know what all the d@mn fuss is about.

Old 07-25-10, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
The only fuss is by people with no lives. How many events have to happen for this to be an issue?

More likely to get salmonella at the Golden Corral salad bar....

Old 07-25-10, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The water in the shower hose isn't "shower" water, but clean potable water. You're trying to equate it to toilet bowl water. I have one of the 8' hoses in our stand up shower (bought by mistake) and certainly don't drain it everytime I take a shower.

Old 07-25-10, 08:17 PM
ANY backflow "incident" requires an alignment of numerous relatively rare conditions. But the fact is is CAN happen, and it HAS happened. If the hand-held is on a tub, then if the hose is long enough to drop into the tub, you need a backflow. This is a rule seldom enforced.

Old 07-25-10, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by 594tough View Post
ANY backflow "incident" requires an alignment of numerous relatively rare conditions. But the fact is is CAN happen, and it HAS happened.
Would it be too much to ask for one account?

Old 07-26-10, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Here's one thing I didn't think of yesterday. I'm pretty sure that all handheld showers have anti-siphon devices in them now. I remember when I bought one a few years back and I thought it was faulty since it would dribble like a leak when I shut the water off. Read the package a bit closer and it said it was normal due to the anti-siphon feature. Pretty sure the ones in this house do it as well.

Old 07-26-10, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by core View Post
Would it be too much to ask for one account?
This is one account:

>>>In 1980, in Pennsylvania, the water system in an apartment building housing some three hundred people was contaminated with pesticide. It seems an exterminator was using a garden hose to fill up a spray tank containing chlordane and heptachlor in order to treat the building for termites. At the same time, a workman had shut off a water main nearby in order to install a new valve. With the water off, a backsiphonage situation developed. As a result, the chemicals in the spray tank were sucked back into the building. Repeated efforts were made to flush out the pipes, but to no avail. Eventually, it was decided to replace all the plumbing that was affected, and the residents were without their normal water supply for 27 days

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: