How to fix/replace 4" copper sewer pipe

Old 07-26-10, 04:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fix/replace 4" copper sewer pipe

My 60 year old house has 4" copper sewer pipe in brass fittings. Both sides of a 10" section below a brass T going to the upper floor toilets have holes corroded into the copper pipe. The best I can tell, the rest of the system is solid. I have temporarily stopped the leak by coating a sheet of light-weight aluminum with a thick layer of silicon sealant and wrapping it around the pipe.

Is there an easy way to do a permanent repair short of sweat soldering a new piece of 4" copper pipe. That would need to be handled by a professional and would undoubtedly be quite expensive.

I have other issues with the existing drainage system and I may elect to replace everything down to the cast iron floor clean out flange, if a repair of the leak is too difficult or expensive.

Last edited by sdilley; 07-26-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 06:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You could cut the sections out and replace them with PVC attached with 2 Fernco's.

Old 07-28-10, 07:45 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Agreed, ferncos or mission coupler to convert to a PVC pipe will set you back $10 or $20, and you can do it in probably half an hour.

I like Mission couplers (ones with a metal band and the two hose clamps) better than Ferncos, but it really shouldn't matter much either way.

While you're at it, you can replace as much as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: