It is normal?

Old 07-28-10, 05:09 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is normal?

Our plumbing is clogged and a plumber came and located the clog. It is under our neighbors house. When I called the city they said that was illegal and we had to move our plumbing. Is it normal for them to make the home owner pay to dig the city street up when you are fixing a problem that is not your fault?

Old 07-28-10, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Thats not really clear...you need to explain a bit more. You are there..we are not.

As the city says...it may be against code now...but possibly not when the house was built (though it seems strange).

Location, type/age of home, type of piping, etc...might help...

Old 07-28-10, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Vic, while it is illegal to tie two houses together on a common drain, when the house was built, it may have been a common practice. Is the pipe terra cotta? If so, count your blessings, and make plans for a better pvc drain system, which would end your clog problems from outside sources like roots.
We'll wait on the info so we can help further.

Old 07-28-10, 06:00 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The house was built in the 1800's and the pipes are clay. We are digging up our back yard to lay new pipes. My porpblem is, the city pipes are also clay and 5 feet down, and a gas pipe is laying 2 feet above the sewer pipe. My husband has spent all day digging up the city sewer pipe, in the middle of the alley on city property. Shouldnt the city dig up their pipes and we did up our property?

Old 07-28-10, 07:14 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That alley may appear as an easement in the deed, and repairs may still be your responsibility.

You could try talking with the city engineer's office and or consider a lawyer.

Old 07-28-10, 07:41 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Around here, everything out to the main sewer line is the homeowner's responsibility if it needs to be replaced. Plus, we need to pay for the permit to dig up the street, police if traffic needs to be rerouted, and possibly even a cost to tie into the main sewer pipe.

May be different elsewhere...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: