Broken baseboard clips...what to do?

Old 07-31-10, 12:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken baseboard clips...what to do?

I've removed, sanded and spray painted my slantfin baseboard covers, but two of the bottom clips that hold the face broke off when I bent them back in position so now the bottom of the face plate is swinging free. Is there an alternative to holding the face plates in position or do I need to pull them out and get new clips and reinstall?

Old 07-31-10, 03:06 PM
Since we don't know what you have it's hard to answer. If it's a well known brand there's a good chance that you can get replacements, the problem is that the clips are slightly different between brands.

If we knew what it looked like we might be able to come up with a fix, can you post a picture?

Old 07-31-10, 04:07 PM
M
I jury rigged it for now and it looks ok. The unit is a Slantfin. Probably installed in the 60's sometime. the brackets are not fixed and can slide around. I'm going to think twice before I do that again. Probably easier to sand and paint them in place. These had about 3 coats of latex wall paint on them, so I wanted to get a smooth sprayed finish. They look great in the end, but what a huge PITA. This was just one room...maybe 24 linear feet of baseboard. I can't imagine doing the whole house!

Old 08-01-10, 11:22 AM
I didn't pick up on your original post that you were talking about SlantFin, the manufactor. The term has become gereric where it's applied to a lot of baseboard heat.

The bad thing is that they only sell to the trade, so even if they have the part they won't sell it to you, glad you figured something out.

Old 08-02-10, 05:37 AM
M
Thanks. Didn't know that about Slantfin. I'm going to talk to my plumber and see if he might have some brackets laying around. Next project is a bathroom renovation. Wish me luck!Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: