Replacing Flange on bottom of toilet


Old 12-06-00, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I am replacing my toilet and one of the screws on the floor was stripped and when I went to get it out and put a new one in discovered that the flange was also broken. When I first put the toilet in, I had a leak that was coming from the bottom of the toilet, was it caused by the broken flange or just not a good enough seal with the wax ring?

Now the problem is how do I get the old flange out? It is plastic cemented(assuming)to a plastic pipe. Is this a major thing, should I call a plumber? or is there something I don't know about that will make it easy to get the old flange out?

Please help, I've been without a toilet for a week and it is really cold where I live!

Old 12-06-00, 08:35 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Talking toilet flange repair

I think by what you wrote that you just broke the part of the flange where the closet bolt hooks into the flange. If this is the case, just go to any plumbing supply and get a flange repair kit. It is a pair of flat metal pieces that you insert under the existing flange and the closet bolt goes through a hole in the repair piece. This works well and doesn't cost a whole lot. Let us know how you make out. We always like to get feedback from the people we try to help out here.
Old 12-07-00, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
wanted to let you know, I got the repair kit and put it in. Was definitely easier and cheaper than trying to replace the flange. Got the seal on my toilet good, however there seems to be a manufacturer's defect in the toilet itself and it is leaking from somewhere else on the bottom now. Called Lowe's(where I got the toilet) and they said I could bring this one back and they would replace it no problem. So hopefully the next one will work. If it leaks, too, then I don't know what I'll do. Probably just call a plumber. Thanks.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: