Okay I'm pulling my hair out....

Old 08-02-10, 09:28 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay I'm pulling my hair out....

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this soldering issue I'm having....

I'm cleaning both sides of the joint with emery paper, fluxing and using lead free solder and getting leaky joints. Some I can tell just by looking the solder is not sticking inside the joint... Now I've soldered at least 50 joints in the past no leaks no probs, put in shutoffs 90's, t's , faucets no problems... What the heck could the issue be?

Now I just bought new solder but I am using old flux. Maybe 4 years old maybe older... Does it go bad?

Edit: I did mix the flux.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-10, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Not sure...but entirely possible...or possibly contaminated somehow? I'd try a new jar.

Hmmm is the old flux compatible with the lead free solder? Dunno if there is any difference...

When I was taught micro circuit repair...it was all about clean clean clean, both the joint and the solder...use enough flux....heat the joint completely....apply enough solder and then remove heat and solder. Seems to work for plumbing as well.

Old 08-02-10, 10:22 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gunguy - military 2M school?

Tha_dub - any moisture/water in the line you are soldering? How are you cleaning the female fitting? I don't know if flux has a shelf life, but it's cheap enough to try some new stuff.

Old 08-02-10, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Wayne...yep...was supposed to be an instructor...but my work wasn't pretty enough unless I used a 'scope...and couldn't do that for some of the qualification.

Old 08-02-10, 11:43 AM
T
Okay Thanks all I figured it out.... It was the flux. I am cleaning the insides of the joints with a rounded wire brush. The flux said on the label lead free so I don't know... Either way I bought new flux and voila. The crap part is I soldered about 10 joints for a new shower tap....

On my way to the hardware store for more pipe and fittings.

D

Old 08-02-10, 01:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Originally Posted by tha_dub View Post
Okay Thanks all I figured it out.... It was the flux. I am cleaning the insides of the joints with a rounded wire brush. The flux said on the label lead free so I don't know... Either way I bought new flux and voila. The crap part is I soldered about 10 joints for a new shower tap....

On my way to the hardware store for more pipe and fittings.

D
I glad you found your problem. I was going to post about flux going bad reguardless of what the manufactor says.

I worked in a crawl space that was over 1000ft. long years ago thats when I found out it goes bad, after crawling in and out multiple times and have the manufactor say it wouldn't go bad I got new flux and no more probs. (THEY LIE!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: