Bathroom sink plumbing....

Old 08-05-10, 11:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink plumbing....

This is in the master bedroom bath. In our other bathroom it does not look like this. Should there be an open extension like that on the drain pipe? There is a foul odor coming from under the sink when the washing machine is ran.

Old 08-05-10, 12:33 PM
>>> Should there be an open extension like that on the drain pipe?

Old 08-05-10, 01:18 PM
M
Apologies for the double post, I wasn't sure which section was more appropriate. Anyhow...

Correct, there is no clean out plug. The sink functions and drains correctly, but there is a foul odor emitted when the washing machine has been ran/drained. Can I simply plug that hole?

Also, is the inline vent okay or should it not be there? The previous owners changed out the plumbing under that sink only.

Old 08-05-10, 01:30 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's pretty obvious that the previous owner was clueless when it comes to plumbing.

From the photo it looks like -

1. you have no trap
2. the sink tailpiece is open ended
3. you have what may be an open cleanout but is possibly a
drain that is no longer used.

You are smelling sewer gas because there is no trap and the drain line is wide open to the sewer. Google sink drains and educate yourself on how it shuld be plumbed. Take a trip to a plumbing supply house and take some photos with you. Ask them to provide you with the parts you need to fix it. It's really a simple job, you just need to get the right parts (probably less than $20) and fit them in.

Old 08-05-10, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
There has to be pieces missing from that install....as Wayne said. Did you take the pic after you had disassembled it?

Old 08-05-10, 01:56 PM
M
Well yes, the p-trap was removed during that picture. I cleaned everything. I also just went and picked up some plugs for the open end on the drain line. Hope this correct the problem.

Old 08-06-10, 07:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Other than the trap missing and the open cleanout, the setup looks pretty good. Studor vents (cheater vents) are usually not recommended unless there's no other way, which seems odd for a bathroom since the toilet needs to be vented through the roof.

If you still get odors after adding the plug, you may have to take apart the vent to ensure it's sealing correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: