Black gas pipe outside

Old 08-07-10, 01:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Black gas pipe outside

Many years ago (when I was unaware) I extended the black pipe natural gas line, under my deck, a few feet from my basement to an outside gas grill. It now appears that was an obvious mistake since I see pipe rust at the connection to the grill tubing. I want to replace the pipe with one that is certified for outdoor use. I'm in New Jersey. The pipe will not be buried, it is rigid and supported inside and as it passes through the wall, about four feet above the ground. Is this piping sold at Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks

Old 08-07-10, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Use coated approved copper for your connection. Black iron shouldn't be used outdoors for the reasons you mentioned. It may be cheaper and easier for you to contact your gas company and have them make a secure run for you. Cheaper, in that they have the materials on hand, and easier, in that you can watch them from a hammock, sipping a mint julep.

Old 08-08-10, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Pipe

Most areas allow black or galv. gas lines on the outside, the only thing you did wrong was not to paint it, even galv. needs to be protected at the joints.

Copper is a little iffy, some allow, some don't.

I think your best bet is to check with the local jurisdiction to see what they approve.

Old 08-08-10, 10:50 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I agree with Shacko. While there are some areas that prohibit black steel and require galvanized there are other areas that prohibit galvanized and require black steel piping. All however, require the piping to at least be painted with a rust-preventative paint.

There are literally miles of black steel piping installed outdoors for gas. All of it has been painted and the paint must be maintained. I like the Rustoleum products. More likely as not all you need to do is to use a wire brush to remove the loose rust and then paint two coats of Rustoleum primer and then a finish coat and the original piping will be good for many decades.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: