venting question laundry tub

Old 08-08-10, 11:58 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venting question laundry tub

I want to drain a laundry tub into the clothes washer drain pipe which is 1 1/2" pvc, 3 feet tall and open at the top. This pipe has a j-bend at the bottom and then tees into the kitchen sink drain in the next room. I plan on adding a y connection into the laundry pipe about midway and connect a drain line/p-trap to the laundry sink. Will this create a venting problem as the top of the laundry pipe is open into the room? If so, could I add an air admittance valve, and where would it be placed? Thanks

Old 08-08-10, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you using a clothes washer in the same pipe? One problem you will encounter is double trapping. If you wye into the vertical, do it low enough to allow direct draining without a ptrap. the ptrap that is part of the laundry stand pipe is sufficient. The kitchen sink enters the pipe after the stand pipe ptrap, correct? It should, since the kitchen sink is trapped.

Old 08-08-10, 03:59 PM
R
Yes about using the washer and the kitchen sink is after the standpipe. So if I wye right above the standpipe ptrap I could just use a tailpipe out of the tub drain to an elbow and then a straight vertical pipe into the wye without a ptrap on the tub drain itself? I am unfamiliar with doubling trapping and just thought the tub had to have a ptrap.

Old 08-08-10, 04:02 PM
R
Oops. I meant to say a straight "horizontal" pipe into the wye.

Old 08-08-10, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, double trapping is not permitted. That exists when you install a ptrap on a sink, then run it into a pipe that is trapped. I you run a horizontal pipe from your sink across and allow it to connect to your wye which is above the trap for the washer. Your occasional use of the sink should not have an adverse affect on the draining of the washer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: