Need help - moving toilet drain a few inches

Old 08-11-10, 02:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help - moving toilet drain a few inches

We're redoing our 100-year-old house. About 40 years ago, the main staircase was ripped out and a full 1st floor bathroom was put in. We've now ripped out that bathroom and had a new main staircase built, and we want to put a powder room under the staircase.

This should be pretty simple because the plumbing for the old 1st floor bathroom is all there in the basement, pretty much right below where the powder room will be.

I have a good idea of how to attack putting in the new supply lines for sink/toilet (fittings, soldering, etc) although I haven't done it before, but I'm not sure how to go about moving the toilet drain line, because of the way the existing drain looks (picture attached). It needs to move only a couple of inches, since the toilet in the old bathroom was very close to where the new powder room's toilet will be.

The main vent/waste line is 100-year-old cast iron, but most of the existing toilet drain fittings feel like plastic.

In the image, the piece marked "A" is definitely cast iron. I'm pretty sure B is plastic (not 100% sure), and C upwards are definitely plastic.

I'm not sure if the embedded image works, so here's the direct link: Picasa Web Albums - Roger - Drain pipes i...

I'm not sure where to cut, or how I'd join the new fittings at the place where I cut, since the fittings are mostly elbows.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 10:32 AM
O
Not a pro here but I'll share my thoughts while you are waiting for one to chime in here.

Piece 'B' is a compression fitting allowing the transfer from cast to the black ABS pipe. I'm assuming piece 'C' is ABS painted white?
Also assuming you are trying to move it away from the wall, it looks like the best way would be to reroute that copper pipe and come almost straight down to the cast. I would use all new fittings and trash the existing.
It looks like that should be done anyway since it looks like the male/females are reversed up at the top.

Old 08-12-10, 12:17 PM
You didn't say where you want to move your line.

But in the interim I will agree with the other post and say take all the plastic out to the cast iron. At B use a shielded coupling to get from iron to plastic, if you are only moving a couple of inches you should be able to do it with the same new fittings.

I looks like there is pvc and abs glued together at the ceiling, that is a no-no, you can't glue them together, stick to one.

Old 08-12-10, 03:08 PM
D
Thanks, that helps. But remember I'm a beginner here... Should I just take a hacksaw and cut between pieces A and B? How would I clean out the rest of the plastic from the cast iron piece A?

Old 08-13-10, 02:34 PM
It's not clear how that joint is hooked up, could be a rubber type gasket holding the plastic, if thats true you just cut the plastic off as close to the iron as you can, put a rag in there to keep from dropping any thing down the pipe, then cut the rest out using anything you can, breaking off pieces until it's all out, you then will need a gasket (not the shielded coupling I suggested) to hook the plastic to the iron. This link should show you what you need.

Old 09-12-10, 08:00 AM
D
Thanks. I found a 3"x4" Fernco rubber donut at HD. It seemed to go in very easily except for the top lip... hopefully that's not a cause for concern.

I wanted to get feedback before I glue the new drain pieces together. Does my setup look ok? (See pics) The horizontal piece in the toilet drain will have a bit more of a slope downward once I glue everything together. For the sink drain I decided to go with 2" pipe for the horizontal run because there's no separate vent.

Thanks! This is my first project but I feel like I'm learning a lot.