Master Bathroom faucet water sewer smell

Old 08-12-10, 11:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Master Bathroom faucet water sewer smell

My house is about 4 years old and recently the 2nd sorry master bathroom sink has a problem with a sewer smell coming from the water. I have taken apart the trap to ensure it is clear, cleaned the plumbing by using baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water and well as tried letting bleach sit in the trap for several hours and then flushed with boiling water and the problem persists. The sink has no overflow drain.

I put a small container under the faucet to collect the tap water to further rule out the drain and when the hot water is first turned on there is definitely a fairly strong sewer smell but the water itself does not smell after removing the container from the sink and smelling it. It's as if there are sewer gases that are being quickly released when the water is turned on and then quickly dissipating a few seconds after. I notice this smell every time the sink is unused for a little while and then hot water is ran. I can't say for sure if I smell the sewer smell coming from the cold water but if it is there the smell is much less than from the hot water. This problem only occurs at this one sink, none of the others sinks in the house have this problem although I may have smelled this when I first used my garden hoses when I returned from vacation but can't say for sure.

I've done a good deal of research on this and am at a loss what the problem could be. I was away on vacation for a few weeks last month so the houses plumbing as left unused but we have used the sink since and there is definitely water trap. I did have the hot water heater turned down a bit so perhaps bacteria could have formed in the water heater, but if this was the problem why would only the 2nd floor bathroom sink have this issue. I plan on draining the water heater soon anyway so I'm going to get the water to 140-160 degrees for a few hours before draining to kill off any bacteria that may be in the tank in case that is the cause.

Any ideas on what would cause this problem coming from the water pipes and not the drain pipe and only on this one faucet?

Old 08-12-10, 11:52 AM
>>>This problem only occurs at this one sink, none of the others sinks in the house have this problem

Old 08-12-10, 12:11 PM
C
Thanks for the reply shacko. I should have mentioned I already sniffed around both with and without water going down the drain and the smell is not present. The smell only occurs after the first few seconds that the water is turned on. I put a container under the faucet to catch the water, preventing water from going down the drain which still resulted in this odor coming from the faucet.

To answer your question regarding the AAV, I don't believe I have an AAV. I think the plumbing vents out of the roof but unfortunately with a 2 story slab home there is no way I can check the vent from the roof.

Old 08-12-10, 12:36 PM
I only have one more idea, plug the sink so the drain is closed, then take a cup of water out of the hot, see if you still have the smell.

Old 08-12-10, 05:53 PM
C
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
I only have one more idea, plug the sink so the drain is closed, then take a cup of water out of the hot, see if you still have the smell.
I closed the drain and ran the cold water as there was a faint sewer smell. I then ran the hot water still with the drain closed and the sewer smell was much stronger than from the cold water. I'm wondering if there is some bacteria in the hot water that is maybe leaving something lingering in the faucet so when I run the cold water the smell is there but to a much lesser extent. The only thing I can guess to explain why the order is in none of the other sinks is that maybe because this is on the second floor, it is the highest point and the order is rising to that point and quickly exciting when the water is ran. It than might build back up and be at the faucet just waiting for me to open it up. In thinking what recently changed to make this problem arise the only thing I can think of is the fact that I had the water heater turned down to warm and hat the water was not used for almost a month so maybe there is some form of bacteria or whatever. Guess I'll need to try turning up the heat on the water heater than draining to rule that out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: