Outside drain - potential freezing issue

Old 08-18-10, 12:41 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside drain - potential freezing issue

I have a cement guy pouring a pad beside my house and I have a question regarding the drain that he wants to install in the pad.

He is suggesting that he will install a drain that is just a 1.5 inch ABS p-trap drain that will return into the house and tie into the sanitary.

I am concerned with freezing. We live in a northern climate and I am thinking that the ABS will break if (more likely when) it freezes.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Old 08-18-10, 01:26 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No pro, but 1.5" seems awfully small to me. I would think 3" or larger. It will need to be buried below the frost line. Where is he going to locate the "P" trap? It will eventually clog with debris and you need to be able to get to it.

Old 08-18-10, 01:54 PM
>>>He is suggesting that he will install a drain that is just a 1.5 inch ABS p-trap drain that will return into the house and tie into the sanitary.

Old 08-19-10, 01:49 PM
C
Here is the background. The pad is actually the landing of a stairwell and is 4 ft below grade. Draining it outside is not an option. So turning it into the basement and tying to sanitary was recommended by the cement guy.

Our code says you can't do this if there is no roof over the drain area, but this stairwell is over half covered the eaves of the house - and shouldn't be an issue. We don't get much rain anyhow.

Old 08-19-10, 04:11 PM
The 1 -1/2" certainly is skimpy since most esterior is much larger because the high peak flows.

In most places, it is illegal to dump exterior or drain water into a sanitary sewer line.

Dick

Old 08-20-10, 08:15 AM
C
Good points, I am now leaning towards a 2" drain without a p-trap tying directly into my sanitary.

Do you think gasses would be a problem outside? I could install a p-trap inside the house (that would not freeze) just before it connects to the stack... ??

Old 08-20-10, 09:53 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you don't use a p trap, the stairwell may end up smelling like it was used for a port a potty.

As others said, check out local code now so you don't have to tear it out later.

Last edited by goldstar; 08-20-10 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-10, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by C-COOP View Post
Good points, I am now leaning towards a 2" drain without a p-trap tying directly into my sanitary.

Do you think gasses would be a problem outside? I could install a p-trap inside the house (that would not freeze) just before it connects to the stack... ??
Anything tied into the sanitary (MUST) have a p-trap.

Most areas require a minimum of 2in. for underground use.

If you have a sump pump that's where is should be piped.

Old 08-20-10, 01:37 PM
C
How about a 2" drain without a p-trap outside right at the drain, then run into and through my house 50 feet then have a p-trap then tying directly into my sanitary?

Old 08-20-10, 01:40 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have a similar situation with a cellar entry that is below grade. I used a screened 2" drain (no trap) straight to a sump.

Old 08-30-10, 02:33 PM
C
Is your sump inside or outside? do you pump it into the sanitary or do you pump it outside?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: