squeaky tub

Old 08-21-10, 04:00 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky tub

We have a tub already installed with ceramic tile surround in place. House was built almost 1 year ago. Tub squeaks and cracks terribly. We cut out the long section of the tub so we could see under it. There are supports but there was no mortar or anything like that to use as a base before setting it down. We are not concerned about the cutout because we are going to put a wooden front to match our cabinets after we try and fix the squeaks. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Old 08-21-10, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Why would you cut the tub? It probably is too weak, now to support itself. You could have cut the adjacent wall board in another room to peer under it and had only sheetrock to repair. You can use minimally expanding spray foam under the tub to help support it if it is immovable at this point. I am not sure what you will be doing to the cut front.

Old 08-21-10, 09:00 PM
C
squeaky tub

First of all the tub meets 2 outside walls and one end meets a short wall inside a linen closet. We cut out a section of the drywall inside of the closet and saw that we couldn't reach very far under the tub from there. So we only cut out a small section of the front of the tub to give us access to the underneath. It still seems very sturdy. We were thinking about using foam but not sure what kind.

Old 08-22-10, 06:18 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chandler - I think the OP meant to say they cut out a section of the tub surround. When I read this "We cut out the long section of the tub so we could see under it." I initially thought they were replacing the tub.

cbtlb - I would try filling the void between the bottom of the tub and the floor with minimal expansion insulating foam, the stuff that comes in a spray can.

Old 08-22-10, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know, Wayne, they said again, they cut the "tub". CBTIB, did you cut the tub or an afterthought surround wall?

Old 08-22-10, 04:34 PM
C
squeaky tub

Yes we cut out a section in front of the tub in the outer wall so we could have access under the tub and could reach from left to right. It is not the whole width of the tub just about 1/3 of it with sections left in between the cut outs for support. It is only cut about 2 inches in height. And it doesn't have an acrylic surround it is ceramic tile. I guess probably the only solution would be the foam. I just wondered what options that someone else would suggest because that was all that we could come up with also. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: