Connecting PVC to ABS

Old 08-26-10, 09:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting PVC to ABS

Hi,

As part of a retaining wall project, I'm rerouting an underground pipe that carries the stormwater from my gutters. To avoid added cost and labor, I chose not to excavate/replace the entire length of the original pipe. Instead, I dug out only the area that needs to be rerouted.

The original pipe is 4" black pipe that I presume is ABS. It was installed sometime in the 1970s. The new section is 4" white PVC.

The white connector piece I bought fits snugly over the white pipe, but there is a little extra room when trying to connect it to the black.

What can I do to get a watertight connection?

Old 08-26-10, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You may need to use a "Fernco" type rubber connector, since the pipes are of different diameters. I say "type" as there are different brands and models for different usages. A real plumbing supply store should be able to help you.

One of the Pros can probably tell you exactly what you will need when they get to their PCs.

I'll move this to the plumbing forum after you post back...don't want you to lose the thread.

Old 08-26-10, 10:13 AM
B
Yes, please move it. I didn't scroll down enough to see that forum.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You may need to use a "Fernco" type rubber connector, since the pipes are of different diameters. I say "type" as there are different brands and models for different usages. A real plumbing supply store should be able to help you.

One of the Pros can probably tell you exactly what you will need when they get to their PCs.

I'll move this to the plumbing forum after you post back...don't want you to lose the thread.

Old 08-26-10, 11:31 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My local building inspector will not allow direct (glued) connection between ABS and PVC. I don't know if that is a requirement of the plumbing code. Either a FERNCO coupling or a PVC/ABS union are required. However, in your case it's a stormwater drain. I would probably adjust the coupling to fit the PVC and glue it on.

I used to see ABS/PVC unions at Big Box stores, but I don't recall seeing any lately.

Old 08-26-10, 01:28 PM
Fernco is the way to go, but you have to know exactly what you're putting together to get the right coupling. Different weight numbers and they don't fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: