Buying used gas dryer...

Old 08-31-10, 06:25 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Buying used gas dryer...

Hi,

As I have become older and presumably wiser I know I have to protect myself and others. So I'm buying a used gas dryer that is presently installed in a unoccupied house that is listed for sale. The realtor is monitoring my removal of the unit as the owner has already moved (but stills owns house and has approved sale of dryer). The gas connection will be left unconnected but I know that simply turning off the gas with the lever is not sufficient.

I have done this work before on my own house but of course I know I am not licensed to do this work for others. I will cap the line using the appropriate teflon tape and check for leaks using a soap spray. I will also place a red sign that states date of capping and "Inspection by professional required".

I'll probably also send the owner and realtor an e-mail (in addition to verbal) stating the same in case sign is removed.

Will this cover my rear end sufficiently?

Or perhaps I should not cap it, and thus force them to address it. Its just that I know people are lazy and chances are nothing will be done and an elecric dryer will be installed thus leaving the flex gas line hanging.

Old 08-31-10, 08:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cap it off as you stated, take a picture with your phone, hang your tag, take the dryer and don't worry about things. You got clothes to dry! If the owner wants to have a certified gas company to inspect it, that's fine, and on them.

Old 08-31-10, 08:21 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks,

Who usually installs gas dryers, certified plumbers or just handymen?

Reason I ask is because I know the big box stores won't touch them.

Old 09-01-10, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Bought mine from the local hardware store - delivery and installation included

Old 09-01-10, 10:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Probably some store delivery person who was hired either because he had a class C drivers license or a strong back but not plumbing skills. A couple of times I have read in Electric forum of dryers hooked up either 3 wire or 4 wire that seem to have been done wrong by the delivery person.

Old 09-01-10, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can't legally work on a gas line it dosen't matter what kind of documentation you supply, if something goes wrong YOU are the one thats up shxt creek!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: