Can I switch a sewer vent cap with a cleanout cap?

Old 09-06-10, 10:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I switch a sewer vent cap with a cleanout cap?

We have a 4" cast iron sewer running from the house in a J shape, about 200 feet total. There is a sewer vent cap sticking up right where I want to put a patio. I believe there is a "curb trap" underneath.

Can I replace this with a bronze cleanout cap for aesthetics and move the vent to one of the cleanouts closer to the curb? There are two other cleanouts in the line. I vaguely remember someone saying the vent needed to be in a certain spot but I'm not sure.

Everyone else has their vent by the curb... not sure why my "curb trap" is by the back patio??

Thanks.

Old 09-07-10, 02:38 PM
>>>Everyone else has their vent by the curb... not sure why my "curb trap" is by the back patio??

Old 09-07-10, 06:45 PM
J
I don't want to move the trap...

I just want to move the vent cap on top of it to a different location along the run. The trap would still be accessible under an access panel if the line needed to be snaked.

Old 09-08-10, 06:25 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I would hesitate moving the vent. It's close to the house to act as a vent for that trap directly below it as well as possibly venting for the house. By moving it 10' (or however far away), you may end up causing problems with trap suction and such.

Can you just reroute the vent a little bit, a foot or two to move it into a better spot?

Old 09-09-10, 08:31 AM
J
I can't move it...

And I can't have it sticking up in the middle of the patio.

If there's a different vent cap that's more decorative (brass or stainless) that I can keep flush with the concrete and it's safe to walk on, then I'm fine with using that. The only ones I saw were caps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: