Installing a water line for a side by side fridge

Old 09-07-10, 08:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a water line for a side by side fridge

My husband and I are buying a house.. we close in about a week. The seller put in a brand new side by side fridge, but it is not hooked up to a water line.. and we totally didn't think to have them do that in the agreement for us. So, we are going to have to do it when we get the house. We are really wanting to do it ourselves. I've been reading that it's pretty easy to do.. and we really want to save the money.

The question is, how do we do it? Even though a lot of things say it's easy, it still sounds kinda difficult to me. Also.. the sink is on the opposite wall, so we will have to hook it to the washer.. which is right next to where the fridge is on the other side of a wall. So, I hope we can run it from there?? Should we use copper or plastic wire? How long does it take? We kinda need an easy to understand step by step guide. I'm really hoping we can do this.

The laundry room/washer/dryer lines up with the fridge.. there is just a wall between them. The garage is on the other side of the wall they are on. And actually the people who lived in the house before had the washer/dryer in the garage just flipped the other way from where they are now. We decided to put them back in the room. So I believe the water hookup is actually in the garage. But it's still the same wall everything is sharing.

Also.. we are on a crawl space.. and it's a wood foundation.. so it'a s little different than your typical crawl space. The only entrance to the crawl space is inside.. it has no inlet from the outside. It's completely enclosed.

We would greatly appreciate the help!!

Old 09-07-10, 01:41 PM
M
Received 22 Upvotes on 17 Posts
Any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes) will sell an ice maker kit, which will include a valve, hose and all the fittings. The valve clamps to the cold water line (in your case, the washing maching line) with screws, then you tighten the valve until it pierces the pipe, thereby allowing water to flow through the tube and to the ice maker. Doesn't require any special tools and isn't very difficult at all. Should come with step-by-step directions.

Old 09-07-10, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Sorry mossman....but I'd never ever use those self piercing valves...unless you plan on moving next year. Yes..they may work for 10 years with no problem....but they may also leak in 2 yrs and be a PITA.

They make adapters that will fit on the cutoff valves of most sinks or dishwasher feeds and use compression type fittings.

Use copper if possible (tubing...not wire as you stated)....run it over to the back of the fridge...come up into the wall and connect it to a cutoff valve in an icemaker box. You can also come up through the floor, but still connect to a valve..then use stainless braided flex line to connect to the fridge.

A plumbing supply or a good local hardware store would be your best bet..but if your local HD or Lowes has a plumber who works that department...he should be able to help as well.

Plastic/poly lines can and do blow off the connections and can cause water damage.

Welcome to the Forums...please ask if you have further questions.

Old 09-07-10, 03:44 PM
M
Received 22 Upvotes on 17 Posts
I agree the self piercing valves are not the ideal way to go, but was simply giving the easiest, most straightforward solution which virtually anyone should be able to install. Doesn't sound like mhp8982 is familiar with installing valves, etc., but hey, its not difficult to learn.

Old 09-07-10, 04:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
May not be pretty but I have come off a washer hose bib before. I installed a female hose to NP male adapter on the hose bib, a tee on the adapter, hose bib on one side of the tee for the washer and a " supply valve for the ice maker.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-07-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 09:40 AM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Sorry mossman....but I'd never ever use those self piercing valves...unless you plan on moving next year. Yes..they may work for 10 years with no problem....but they may also leak in 2 yrs and be a PITA.

Hi guys. My two cents. I was looking into a fridge from Sears last year and come to find out they WILL NOT hook up the water to the fridge if you have one of the pipe piercing valves (I think they are called saddle valves?).

That told me something!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: