Vacuum / Airlock?

Old 09-07-10, 11:06 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vacuum / Airlock?

This is a job I did for my brother . He has a whole house water filter, the type that holds a simple paper style cartridge, which in his case, lasts, about 5 weeks between changes. It helps keep sediments, and rust from staining his showers, toilets,and sinks, etc. The water is from a drilled well,l so its all kind of normal. The thought, was lets get the outside garden hose connections off the filter. Since he uses them often in the summer, for various needs, pool,lawn,cars, etc. So I cut a Tee into the 3/4inch copper line between the water pressure tank and the water filter. This accomplished what he wanted the outside hose connections were seperate from the filtered househiold water. However soon after , upon using the outside hose , he lost water pressure inside the house. He seemed to regain the pressure bye changing the filter - though it took several attempts - to break the air lock? So we decided to install a spring check valve between the Tee and the filter ,as close to the Tee as possible in order to stop the vacuum / airlock from happening again.
Now, after once again using the garden hose he lost pressure and had to repeat the steps to regain pressure. For the time being, he has decided not to use the hose lines and has them isloated with ball valve we installed during this job.

Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Thats all I got.

Thanks, Perk

Old 09-07-10, 12:26 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you sure you broke the line downstream of the well tank? from your description it sounds like you may be between the well and the tank.

If that's not the case, what is the tank pressure doing when the hose is in use? Any chance the pressurizer tank is the culprit?

FWIW - I have a well, two hose bibbs between the well tank and my whole house filter and never had a pressure problem.
I also only change out my filter every year or so. Go by the water pressure not the appearance of the filter. If you start to get reduced flow that is the time to replace the filter.

Old 09-07-10, 01:53 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wayne,

Thanks for the quick reply.

'Are you sure you broke the line downstream of the well tank?' /// Yes. The new Tee is between the pressure tank and the whole house filter.

'If that's not the case, what is the tank pressure doing when the hose is in use? Any chance the pressurizer tank is the culprit?' /// My brother lives an hour form me so I have not been there when the issue happens. The house is less then 2 years old and the pressure tank is the same age. But I cannot rule out a bad tank? entirely....

'FWIW - I have a well, two hose bibbs between the well tank and my whole house filter and never had a pressure problem.
I also only change out my filter every year or so. Go by the water pressure not the appearance of the filter. If you start to get reduced flow that is the time to replace the filter.' /////
Seems you have exactly what he wanted and that is how I installed the new piping but he now has a problem where none existed before.

I installed the Spring Check Valve thinking I was creating a type of Venturi ? affect. So the check valve directional is toward the filter . My thinking was that as he used the hose line outside and the inside lines were idle, water was being 'back flowed' from the inside lines toward the new Tee. The end result, I felt ,was a vacuum or airpockets left in the house piping.. leaving little or no pressure inside the house.

Sorry I cannot give immeadiate updates on his status. He will try not to use the outside lines. So an immeadiate fix is not critical.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: