Sump pump wonít stop running

Old 09-08-10, 04:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump wonít stop running

I have a Ridgid SP-500 sump pump that is only 1.5 years old. It will drain the water out of the pit and it sounds fine but when it empties the water it keeps running and then makes a loud noise like its just sucking air since thereís no water. This happened a few months ago and all I did was unplug it for a couple of hours then when I plugged it back in it was fine. But now that it happened again so Iím assuming something is wrong. In doing a little research I see things saying that it could be a switch problem or maybe a bad check valve. Also I saw about drilling a hole in the pipe just below the check valve or drilling a hole just above the discharge on the pump. I donít know anything about that so that kind scares me. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I can replace a check valve or the entire pump but I donít know anything about replacing a bad switch.

Old 09-08-10, 04:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like the float is stuck in the up position. Did you look inside?

Old 09-08-10, 04:49 PM
C
Yes, I move the float and switch up and down and it still keeps running. Would a piggyback switch help?

Old 09-08-10, 06:13 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
If you move the float switch up and down and the pump just keeps running, it's certainly a bad switch. If it's a separate switch, you can just get a new one. They also sell stand-alone float switches, but you'd have to be able to disable the one on the pump.

Do you have a model #?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: