Gas line for Dryer, and electrical

Old 09-10-10, 03:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas line for Dryer, and electrical

Hi, I had a side by side washer / dryer. To save space, we purchased a stackable front loader set. I planned to put the set in front of the water supply. Currently, the gas line and the electrical sits behind where the dryer was, as well as the vent. I was going to open the wall and move the gas and electrical over 3 feet to be behind the dryer. The two questions I had were.

1. Is there anything I should look for when moving the gas? I'm decent with plumbing and drywall, but have never done a gas line before. I hoped to buy the piping at the proper length at home depot and have them thread it. Otherwise I may just have a plumber come.

2. Electrical I know very well. I have no problem cutting the wall and moving the outlet over. my question is does it have to be more than three feet from the water supply and drain for the washer? I could do that but would have to move it over, and then up about 4 feet. not a problem, just extra work.

The vent I'd have to leave where it is because its a straight run, just have ot add some solid vent. If you're wondering why I want to do all this, I hope to add shelves and drawers to increase storage and having the electrical and gas in the way would limit that greatly.

Thanks!

Dave

Old 09-11-10, 02:45 PM
>>>1. Is there anything I should look for when moving the gas? I'm decent with plumbing and drywall, but have never done a gas line before. I hoped to buy the piping at the proper length at home depot and have them thread it. Otherwise I may just have a plumber come.

Old 09-11-10, 02:50 PM
D
Thanks. I actually just opened up the wall and assessed the situation. The electrical box is in the way of where I need to run the gas over, so I have to raise the gas pipe about 24" and then make an elbow to the right to send it over another 24". The PITA part is the builders cut too short of a piece when they installed it and just muscled the pipe closer to the drywall so its a bit in the way of the electrical now. I think i can push it back gently and get it behind the electrical. To add an electrical outlet to the right I was just going to use a few feet of flex tubing with wire in it.

Thanks for the advice, anything else to keep an eye on?

Old 09-11-10, 07:58 PM
D
Well game over. I went out, bought all the supplies, and then opened up the rest of the wall over to where I wanted to run the gas and found a big 3" copper pipe running to the unit above us. There is no room to fit the 1/2" gas pipe around it. So it looks like I'll just have to run it on the outside. Oh well.

Old 09-12-10, 11:04 AM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
hi daveguy Ė

(Iím a really really slow writer and the following was written before I saw your later posts.)

I donít know much. But I did a similar kind of thing for my Mother about 9 years ago. She had a small utility alcove with a gas dryer and washer. I put a washer-dryer stack where the washer was, and a utility sink where the dryer used to be. So I had to extend the gas line several feet over to the new dryer.

Donít remember much except messing with gas scared me. I know there was a gas shutoff valve for the dryer in the alcove, and maybe I screwed up here, but I added another gas shutoff valve right behind the new dryer at its rear corner. Only because I thought code said you need a shutoff behind the dryer. Even though the other shutoff valve was only 5-6 feet away Ė I thought you needed one in the correct spot. So I wound up with two! Probably silly. Hope I didnít violate code by having two? (Inspector didnít say anything when house was sold?) But I can now see where two shut-offs on the same line could be frowned upon and a code violation, not to mention just plain sloppy! (Oh well)

Guess I should have done what shacko says and have turned the gas off at the meter. I could have then moved the original shut-off valve to the new location. That makes more sense. Anyway you probably understand much more about this than I do.

Donít think I had to have pipe threaded? I think I just used the black gas pipe off-the-shelf nipples, fittings, etc. from Home Depot. But I guess the proper thing would be to minimize the number connections so I guess the longer the pipe the better? Maybe I used nipples connected together when I could (should?) have used a longer pipe ? Maybe not. Maybe off-the-shelf pipe was long. Donít remember.

I do remember testing connections using that soapy bubble method over and over and over on the connections until I was absolutely certain there were no leaks. Iím almost positive I used pipe dope on the gas pipe connections. Donít think you are supposed to use Teflon tape on gas connections. I do remember fastening the new gas pipe extension to the wall really really well. A nuclear blast couldnít loosen it. But I guess in your case you are talking about making changes inside the wall? Guess thatís different from what Iím babbling about here.

Didnít bring in an inspector. Maybe that was a no-no. Hope I didnít screw somebody up. But it all seemed to work great and I sure believe it was safe.

Iíll bet you will be really happy with the stackable front-loader set. My Motherís set really worked great. One little minor problem we had was that at certain washer spin speeds the top of the stack seemed to shake back and forth a little Ė not really all that much and only while going through certain speeds. I think I made sure I had the stack fastened together correctly. I was going to add some kind of bracket for the top of the stack if it continued to bother me a little. But house was sold not too long after.

Donít know whether any of this helps you - but good luck on your project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: