Tub Drain Trick?

Old 09-12-10, 08:32 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Drain Trick?

Have the rough-in done with the pipe coming through the concrete slab with an opening slot cut into the concrete suitable for installing the drain from a tub (about 1' by 6").

Have built a surround for a jacuzzi and have everything I need to complete the job.

According to my permit, I must have the surround framing completed before the plumbing which I've done. Ready to add backer and tile before I drop the tub in the opening connecting the "plumbing" which consists of hitting the waste pipe with the tub drain assembly after the inspection.

Since I'll be using a bed of mortar to support the bottom of the tub, I'll have one chance to join the drains together.

My question is: Since the jacuzzi with motor etc, is heavy, is there a trick/easy way to fit it without too much fumbling around? It seems like a very delicate thing trying to cement the pipes (PVC) and alligning the tub drain to the waste pipe while lowering the tub into the bed of mortar. Is it common to join the tub drain and waste pipe before lowering the tub into the surround?

Also, what is the common fill material of the waste opening "slot" cut into the concrete after the drain assembly is in place.

Appreciate any consideration you might offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-10, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This will all depend on whether you will be able to get to the drain after the tub is set, need more info.