Use of CSST - installation of gas line for range

Old 09-14-10, 05:01 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 68
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use of CSST - installation of gas line for range

Hello. My questions are after the fact, since I have already hired a plumber who completed my project last week, but I have a few concerns after doing some reading and thought I would ask a few questions. Here is my story:

Hired a licensed plumber to tap into existing gas line in attic and run new line to kitchen island location where stove will sit. He did some calculations and concluded that the existing line provided sufficient capacity for the stove, so I guess I will trust him on that. My questions have to do with the fact that he used flexible gas piping with a yellow plastic-like coating on it - I believe this is known as CSST. As mentioned, he tapped into the existing conventional iron pipe line in the attic and did a run of CSST down through the wall between kitchen and garage then did a run of about six feet under the cement slab to the kitchen island location (he jack-hammerd the cement and laid the pipe in the ground under the slab). I am not certain whether he used CSST or iron pipe under the slab as he did transition to iron pipe at some point as the pipe coming out of the slab at the stove location is iron pipe. Before the work was done and while discussing his estimate for the project with him, he seemed to feel that CSST was clearly the best and obvious way to go for my project, and I didn't know enough to question him on this point. In doing some reading later, however, including on this forum, I gather there are possible "issues" with CSST casting some doubt on whether it is a wise choice for a residential project. That's my question: just wondering what some of the experts on this forum think about the above? Do you think I will be OK with the CSST? Should the plumber have discussed options with me? Any code issues with CSST? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-15-10, 05:39 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,265
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are codes everywhere & they can vary. I'm sure your plumber knows the local codes & followed them. The only thing I would question would be, did you need a permit for that job? Obviously, you didn't apply for one.
Old 09-15-10, 01:46 PM
shacko's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Baltimore County Maryland
Posts: 2,002
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think you should check with your local jurisdition to find out what rules they have.

The UPC says this:

1211.1.6 Piping Underground Beneath Buildings.
Where the installation of gas piping underground
beneath buildings is unavoidable, the
piping shall be encased in an approved conduit
designed to withstand the superimposed loads.
[NFPA 54:7.1.6] The conduit shall extend into a
normally usable and accessible portion of the
building and, at the point where the conduit
terminates in the building, the space between the
conduit and the gas piping shall be sealed to
prevent the possible entrance of any gas leakage.
Where the end sealing is of a type that will retain
the full pressure of the pipe, the conduit shall be
designed for the same pressure as the pipe. The
conduit shall extend not less than (4) inches (100
mm) outside the building, be vented above grade
to the outside, and be installed so as to prevent the
entrance of water and insects. [NFPA 54:].

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: