i want to add a basement bathroom

Old 09-15-10, 09:47 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want to add a basement bathroom

my wife and i bought her grandmothers house and her grand mother said that when she had the house built about 40 years ago she told them to put a drain for a toilet in the basement how can i tell if that is the drain in the picture above and if it is when i go to build the new bathroom in the basement can i have the shower drain into it also

Old 09-15-10, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
That looks like it but it looks too close to the wall for a toilet to mount directly over it unless the wood wall? to the left is removed.

Now you have to figure out how to run your new plumbing since the clean out is above the existing floor level. You can build a raised floor for your new bathroom so you have somewhere to run the plumbing or you break up the concrete and run the plumbing under ground.

Old 09-15-10, 10:22 AM
J
no that is a closet around it can i add a pump to pump the water from the shower to drain the water into that drain

Old 09-15-10, 10:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, you can add a pump but that will require a raised floor or platform since the plumbing needs to be below the bottom of the shower, and you still have to consider the toilet. Most toilets require the drain line to be 12" away from the wall, though there are some (usually more expensive) that have their drain connection closer to the wall. The least expensive and best option is probably to break out the concrete.

Old 09-15-10, 10:42 AM
J
ok i have never done anything like that is it easier to break up the concrete and install it under the cement and do you know of any websites that might help me with the process and thank you so much for the info

Old 09-15-10, 10:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
I'd start watching the Sunday morning home improvement shows. Quite often they are doing something similar.

First, I'd measure your space and draw out a floor plan. Go to home improvement stores and look at the fixtures (shower, toilet, sink...) that you want. Note their dimensions (will it fit through the door to get into your basement) and the hook-up locations. Draw the fixtures on your plan. You may be able to change your plan to minimize the amount of plumbing under the floor.

Old 09-15-10, 11:04 AM
J
am i going to have to vent the new drain i put in or should it be vented from the old drain

Old 09-15-10, 11:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you are doing a shower/tub, sink and toilet you will need a vent. Check with your local codes. You might be able to use a Studor vent for the sink & shower.

Old 09-15-10, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW jfugere...the Did It Myself! section is for completed projects...not questions.

Old 09-15-10, 01:49 PM
I don't think you can raise the floor at that point, from your picture it looks like you would have to raise it at least a foot, I don't think you have that much extra room in a average basement.

Old 09-16-10, 07:41 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Likes on 319 Posts
If this is your first plumbing project, I wouldn't recommend breaking up concrete and tapping into cast iron drain pipes to be your first project. It's all doable, but not an easy project.

If you do decide to go down this path, get a couple books to understand how to setup shower/toilet drains and venting requirements. They are typically pretty standard, though some locales have special requirements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: