Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Removable access panels for undersink drain & water lines as they enter the wall

Removable access panels for undersink drain & water lines as they enter the wall

Old 09-15-10, 07:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removable access panels for undersink drain & water lines as they enter the wall

I'm about to finish up some bathroom remodeling and was about to drywall around the drain and water lines under the sink. I was hoping to find some kind of panels or something that would fit around the pipes instead of using drywall----at least in the area where those pipes go into the wall.

Some kind of cover that could fit around each pipe and be easy to take off and replace would make doing in-wall plumbing fixes a lot easier in the future than tearing out drywall and replacing. My sink plumbing is on an exterior wall so the flat access doors wouldn't work.

I've searched for something like this but couldn't find anything.

Have any of you guys seen anything like this ---or, do you have any ideas on how to make something? I was thinking of using some foam panels or plywood in the area where the pipes are (instead of drywall) and cut a half-circle on each piece that would fit around each side of the three pipes (drain, hot & cold). I don't think that would look very good though so I was hoping to find a better idea.
Old 09-16-10, 06:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drywall is removable if you don't spackle & tape it. Cut two pieces, one for under the pipes with U cut-outs at the top of it & a second piece for over the pipes, with matching U cut-outs. If you have to do it from side to side, that's ok too.
Old 09-16-10, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,405
Received 357 Likes on 319 Posts
You could make your own panels with a piece of plywood. Drill out the drain/supplies and cut the whole piece in half to fit around the pipes. Route the edges and paint to match.

That said, is there a reason you expect to have to open it up again? Generally, there's no reason to ever open up the wall until you decide to move the sink's location (which would likely involve a lot more renovation anyway). As long as your solder joints are good, you should never have to open it up again.

If you're worried about joints, I'd be more concerned about flooding, mold, etc. if there was ever a failure.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: